The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Cunard Clerical Staff by land and Sea

Old Chap

Can anyone point me in the right direction to purchase the Cunard Clerical Staff by Land and Sea that was published mid or late war. The Kings Liverpool archives have a copy but would not allow me to copy any of the pages as apparantly it is against copyright laws to make a copy from a copy !

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Bill

hello! I have sent you an e-mail as I have a copy of this and will gladly copy pages for you. Dawn

By the way....mine isn't a copy. It's the real thing but I can't sell it to you as it was given to me with alot of other items relating to one man and I am bound to look after it all for the rest of my life!!!

Guest Pete Wood
The Kings Liverpool archives have a copy but would not allow me to copy any of the pages as apparantly it is against copyright laws to make a copy from a copy !

It is true. Basically, under new copyright laws passed in 2003, you'll find that there is something called the digital database act. Whoever digitises the information (a database is text and/or pictures that follow some sort of order/sequence), owns the rights/copyright to the information.

But you can't then make a copy from a copy without permission from the 'new' copyright owner.

The implications are just starting to be understood. But, basically, where the copyright to a work has expired, as long as it is made into a digital database, the copyright can be reinstated.

So, for example, the copyright on CWGC paper registers has expired. But the CWGC digital database (on the web) is now in copyright.

The problem is that you, or I, or anyone, could digitise someone else's work (when the copyright has expired) and you/I would own the database copyright. My understanding is that the company that produced that work, originally, can do little to stop this - unless the company realises the dangers and digitises its original works.

First come, first served!!

I know two publishers who are scrambling to digitise their archives before someone else (the lottery-funded British Library is, currently, the biggest unforseen 'enemy' of private archives) does.

You will soon find that more and more universities and libraries will be following other new laws on copying (even if your copies are for private research), where a copy can be produced (without permission being required by the copyright owner), under licence. But the licence costs money - and somewhere down the line, unless you are being subsidised, the costs will be passed on to you and me.

If there are any copyright experts, I'm happy to be corrected on the above. Better still, I'd welcome a decent (simple) definition.

Thanks for your help Dawn. Deeply appreciated. I owe you one

Regards,

Bill