The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

WW1 book for a 12 year old - recommendation please

Harold II

My Grandson, 12 years old, is going on a 3 day School Tour around the WW1 battlefields early next year.

He is very interested in history and I would like to give him a suitable book\s to read before he goes.

Recommendations very welcome - personally I would prefer the book\s not to be overburdened with photos

'Deaths Men' by Henry Winter is my favourite book on the Great War.

Regards.

Tom.

I don't think that Denis Winter's 'Deaths Men' is suitable for a 12 year old, given the explicit contents.

I would recommend Michael Foreman's 'Wargame' - you could buy it from Amazon through the forum's link.

I bought a book recently called The Trenches: Billy Stevens. The Western Front 1914-18 Jim Eldridge thinking it was an adult book but it appears to be for younger readers, easy to read and is published by Scholastic children's books. It is one of their 'My Story' series. Cheap copies available on Amazon

They have a website

http://shop.scholastic.co.uk/?gclid=CI7L8tXjnKsCFQ0OfAodCGdghQ

My 14 yr old, since the age of 11 has read many of my WW1 collection and prefers them to 'kids' books on the subject.

Saying that - three years ago I took her to see 'Horrible Histories WW1' at the local theatre. Even Gramps was impressed biggrin.gif

Steve M

You mean apart from Biggles of the Camel Squadron?. Private Peaceful and War Horse have an (unhidden) agenda but will certainly grip a 12 year old. Sasson might be worth a try or a Battlefield Europe guide of the area in question.

12 is about the time I really started reading WWI books.

My dad gave me copies of Lynn McDonald's book on the Somme, and George Coppard's "With a Machine-Gun to Cambrai" at some point soon after that I was reading everything I could get my hands on WWI related but I still return to these every so often - I don't think I was ever getting "Children's" or "Teen" books really...Although there was a stoty book about WWI pilots I read and really liked cannot for the life of me remember the title...started with early descriptions of training and then trying to shoot down Zeppelins before heading to the Western Front....what on earth was the title.....

I think I read First Day on the Somme pretty soon after that.

I did (do!) have quite a few "picture" books too with equipment and weapons and maps but I didn't really get interested in details of campaigns until quite a bit later.

Chris

'Horrible Histories WW1' at the local theatre. Even Gramps was impressed biggrin.gif

My Grandaughter also read the book and found it a great read, I enjoyed it too if truth be known, but from a previous thread I do understand it was not every forum members cup of tea. Tells the story of the Great War in a very Child friendly way. However may be aimed at slightly younger Children.

Ray

A new copy of Coppard's 'With a Machine Gun to Cambrai' seems to be ridiculously expensive but it was one of the first Great War books I read in my early teens. Presume it isn't in print at the moment.

Likewise Chapman's 'Passionate Prodigality'.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Machine-Cambrai-Cassell-Military-Paperbacks/dp/0304352586/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1316081058&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Passionate-Prodigality-Echoes-War/dp/0907675425/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1316081238&sr=1-1

• 2 weeks later...

Here's another book I bought thinking it was for adults. Appears to have been published as children's literature (it is very interesting nevertherless)

Tuesday 4 August 1914 Ian Ribbons. 1970 (reprinted later). It's an hour by account of what was happening around the world the day the war broke out and there are copies for sale on Amazon

If I was in your shoes I would buy him OLD SOLDIERS NEVER DIE by Frank Richards.

One of the best first hand accounts by a soldier that went all through the war on the WF and in an easy to read manner. Might not always be polically correct due to his years serving in India but a cracking read which I am sure would entice your Grandson to want to know more.

Regards,

Jonathan S

Actually the "Biggles" stories were my first WW1 reading, and they aren't a bad beginning - no sex, no swearing, but a depiction of the attrition of late-WW1 aerial warfare and the nervous tension resulting. I also recommend "In The Cannon's Mouth" by P.J. Campebell, the autobiography of a rather unworldly 19 year-old RFA officer from 1917 onwards; again, no swearing or sex, bar some innuendo from older battery members, but a splendid account of the incoherence, muddle, fright and humour of war on the Western Front. "Soldier From The Wars Returning" by Charles Carrington is also a worthy read (I shall stop here in the interests of brevity and clarity ...)

Don't forget to tell him to add "The Great War Forum" to his list of Internet Favourites; after that you won't need to ask questions on his behalf!

My Grandson, 12 years old, is going on a 3 day School Tour around the WW1 battlefields early next year.

He is very interested in history and I would like to give him a suitable book\s to read before he goes.

Recommendations very welcome - personally I would prefer the book\s not to be overburdened with photos

Do you know which battlefields he will be visiting?

• 3 weeks later...

Depends on whether you are looking at non fiction or fiction? These are some books my son and daughter enjoyed at that age on WW1 all fiction.

War Horse - Michael Morpurgo (illustrated version - super illustrations by Francois Place)

Private Peaceful - Michael Morpurgo

Remembrance - Theresa Breslin

Lord of the Nutcracker Men - Iain Lawrence

regards Marjorie

There's one called When the Guns Fell Silent but I've forgotten the author - posting on my phone right now or I'd check.

It has a sequel about VADs which I can't really recommend - its research shows (huge undigested chunks of Lynn McDonald's Flowers of No Man's Land).

• Admin

Jackie Was A Hero by Lawrence Harris isn't bad, not sure if it is still available

Michelle

I'd recommend Tommy goes to War by Malcolm Brown - I read this a couple of years ago as a younger teen and I found it easy and informative. Private Peaceful by Morpurgo and/or All Quiet on the Western Front by Remarque are also recommended.

• 2 weeks later...

Frank Bellamy's ''Story of WW1' may be a good choice. The book takes the serialisation of the history of WW1 that was originally printed in the 'look and learn' magazine and presents it as a whole. The work was written for children/teens and so although quite detailed is not too academic. It is a good balance of written pieces covering the main aspects of the war with supporting illustrations by Frank Bellamy. The book costs £25 on e.bay although I guess any decent library could get hold of a copy.

Although probably not what you had in mind I would also recommend the several volumes of 'Charley's War' that are out. Although taken from the original comic book format, the content is amazing in its completeness, from life at home to the trenches, to equipment, comradeship, campaigns, discipline, class etc. The fact it is also a gripping story in comic form should appeal to any young lad and the visual medium is a great way to stimulate interest in the subject in preparation for a visit. These again are available on e.bay (cost less than £15 if I rember correctly) or should be available in Libraries.

regards, ET

When I was about that age (a looong time ago :blush: ) a book I kept reading was 'Tank Commander' by Ronald Welch. It is the last in the 'Aubrey Family' military saga, which goes all the way back past the English Civil War; this one is WW1. The series was written for 8-12 year olds.

Sadly none are still in print and even a very tired paperback can go for thirty quid. But if one can be got from a library..

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Paul Barton

I remember "Tank Commander" in the Ronald Welch series - the first book was about one of his ancestors, one of the post-First Crusade settlers, defeated at at Hattin.

Correlli Barnett's coffee table book on WW1, a good overview of the entire war. I read the lavishly illustrated Marks & Spencer edition when I was about 11 or 12, so perfectly accessible for a bright kid.

I know it's been mentioned but if I can reiterate, I strongly recommend Morpurgo's Private Peaceful. Wonderful story, suitable for children but not simplistic. Covers interesting parts of the war and gives a real desire to read more.

I have to agree with Alex, post #15, that it should be relevant to where he is going, also finding out what his favourite book in any subject is, will assist in selecting for his level of reading pleasure. Try for a diary/biography for added identification with his travel experience.

let us know what you select.

khaki

• 2 weeks later...

All Quiet on the Western - Front by Erich Maria Remarque

Yes obvious but no less valid a title because of that especially for a young adolescent.

Some books become classics for a reason.