The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Connaught Rangers,service number 7614

museumtom

I have downloaded Pte Willie Conan's MIC from the NA and he has two numbers the first is the one I am interested in which is 7614, He was entitled to two medals but not the star. Can I find out when or where he enlisted from this first number? This is not his real name, his proper name, when he was in the Indian Mutiny in 1920 his number was 35092 and his name was William Coman. Any help in this vague part of his life would be most welcome.

regards.

Tom Burnell

One more question please.

Under “Theatre of war first served in” it has no entry, does this mean that he was never in a theatre of war? That he was not in a war area?

Regards.

Tom.

One more question please.

Under “Theatre of war first served in” it has no entry, does this mean that he was never in a theatre of war? That he was not in a war area?

Regards.

Tom.

No. He wouldn't have been entitled to the Victory Medal if this was the case.

Dave.

A bit unscientific but a search on SDITGW for 76* Connaught Rangers throws up 9 deaths, seems it was a pre-war number as 5 were with the 1st & 2nd Bn and died in 1914/15, they enlisted from Galway to Dundee.

Kevin

I tried a SDGW search with a search for76??( you can do that y'know!!) with the unit Connaught rangers with no noticable connection. I wanted to see if the guys who had a near number to 76** all enlisted in the same place but it did not work.# Tom

7957 enlisted in October 1903. There was renumbering in 1906 for new entrants in some corps but if not in the CRs your man must have been earlier I would think

This man was born in 1900 so him joining before 1903 is not an option.......I think.

Tom