The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

3rd South Midland 242 Brigade

philary

Hello to everyone

I am trying to find out about Gunner FG Davis, KIA 14th March 1918 and buried in La Clytte. Information in CWGC states he was in RFA, D Battery, 242 Brigade, 3rd South Midland. I have found out that this brigade was transferred in January 1917 to an Army Brigade. How can I found out which brigade? Thank you to anyone who can help.

Hilary

Hi Glynn

Thanks for response.

What is really confusing me is the fact that the 48th Division went to Italy at the end of 1917. However the 3rd South Midland doesn't appear to have gone with them. This seems to be borne out by the fact Gunner Davis died in Belgium/France, because of his burial in Belgium. I suppose he could have been wounded in 1917, was too ill to be returned to England and died in Belgium after his division went to Italy. Do you think that might have been possible?

Hilary

The reference to Army Brigade is correct but very confusing for the uninitiated. It means the Brigade left 48th Division and came under the control of an Army. This happened to many RFA Brigades.

242nd (S. Midland) Brigade, RFA served as part of the 48th Divisional Artillery until being designated an Army Brigade on 20 Jan 1917. It then became 242nd Army Brigade, RFA attached to 1st Army. From 23 Feb 18 to 20 Mar 18 it was supporting operations of the 37th Division, XXII Corps. 133198 Gnr. Frederick George Davis, born at Bishopstone, Sussex and enlisted at Bristol was killed in action on 14 March 1918 (this would seem to indicate that he did not die of earlier wounds.) Before the Echoes Die Away by NDG James, page 25, I think supplies the answer concerning how Gnr Davis died: "A month later a major catastrophe occurred in the Brigade when on 14th March [1918], a sap near D Battery received a direct hit with a 9.2 shell killing five officers and eighteen other ranks." Your Gnr Davis was most likely one of the 18 other ranks killed. Regards. Dick Flory