The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

WO 363

AGWR

Having spent yet another gruelling Saturday in the PRO, bemoaning the fact that no one saw fit to move the other ranks' records outside London during the Second World War, I was wondering what everyone else's hit rates were, when researching men from the same regiment. Presumably, some regiments fared better than others? If so, which ones? Also, which regiments seem to have come off particularly badly?

Regards

AGWR

Can't answer the regimental question, but I've looked up a couple of hundred men and my hit rate is c. 10%. The accepted wisdom is that I should be hitting c.40%.

That pretty much tallies with my own experience, although I do know of one chap, who found 19 out of 20 Sherwood Foresters!

Surely, it wouldn't have cost that much more to have created a basic index (name, number and regiment) when putting the surviving records on microfilm?

Regards

Andy

I'm researching the Oxford & Bucks and of approx 40 names I have searched for I have drawn a big zero for soldiers who died. I have found a few records to survivors but remain convinced the bomb landed on the OBLI filing cabinet. 40% seems unattainable for me.

However another forum member searched for five names in one day and found four!

Andy are you volunteering to dedicate the rest of your life to creating and alphabetical index of surviving records?

are you volunteering to dedicate the rest of your life to creating and alphabetical index of surviving records?

Brian,

I am more than happy to do this (provided I win the lottery first!).

And there was me thinking that the bomb must have landed on the Middlesex filing cabinet...

Regards

AGWR

Also, which regiments seem to have come off particularly badly?

Having looked up circa 300+ Hampshire Regiment fatalities (primarily those listed on local war memorials) my hit rate is extremely low (less than 5%). Of those that I have found, the majority were posted to other units.

With Machine Gun Corps I am getting about 15% success rate, which considering the disasters that have befallen their records is not too bad. It seems to go in spates, for several weeks I don't find any and then the next time I find 2 or 3.

Steve

Guest Ian Bowbrick

I have totted up my researches for the last 4 months, out of 132 look-ups I have found 24 service records, so just less than 20% hit rate.

Ian

There were 4 guys from my village who served in the REKMR. I found all their service records. I wondered whether there was a high percentage of their unit's survival or maybe I trod in something outside the PRO.

Mick

I scored one hit for the Devonshire Regiment out of about 150 attempts, and have never found any DCornwallLI, or SomersetLI out of much less attempts.

Guest Ian Bowbrick
I scored one hit for the Devonshire Regiment out of about 150 attempts, and have never found any DCornwallLI, or SomersetLI out of much less attempts.

Interesting your comment about the Devons - I have hit 5 men who served with the Devonshire ILCs.

Ian :unsure:

Having sent my eyes goggly by scanning past hundreds of sets of papers, it seems to me that there is an over-representation of Labour Corps and Army Service Corps.

Thanks for all the posts and thanks for the link (Jock).

From forum members' observations, it would appear that a soldier's regiment/ battalion does indeed have a bearing on the likelihood of unearthing his record today. It's also interesting that no one seems to get anywhere near the 'mythical' figure of 40%.

Does anyone know how the records were originally filed? Was it by regiment, then service number?

Regards

AGWR

Interesting your comment about the Devons - I have hit 5 men who served with the Devonshire ILCs.

Ian :unsure:

Ian

Please could you explain what ILCs are?

Thanks

Jon.

In my, somewhat limited, experience I have found very few service records for those I have researched. However, I was extremely fortunate to find the Service Records for BOTH of my grandfathers, which, apparently, is verging on a miracle!

Paul J :ph34r:

Guest Ian Bowbrick
In my, somewhat limited, experience I have found very few service records for those I have researched. However, I was extremely fortunate to find the Service Records for BOTH of my grandfathers, which, apparently, is verging on a miracle!

Paul J :ph34r:

You '%&**$£""&' ;)

Ian

Thanks Ian

To be honest, I can't remember if I found anything in DevonsILC, know I found Labour Corps for somebody. However, all the desired battalions, 1st, 2nd, 6th, 8th and 9th were all missing bar one record.

Jon.

I think the hit rate very much depends on the reason you're looking.

I have found much higher hit rates for war memorials and family historians than I have for medals that I own. This is because I've probably been sold the medals because there is no service record.

Dealers can get a higher price if the medals are sold with service records and collectors probably hold on to their items which have more information available

Mick

Probably because they are the most which I have tried to obtain, but men of the Buffs East Kent Regiment papers have been fairly numerous, in stark contrast to those of the Rifle Brigade ie Nil.

Along with other forum members I had hoped to be able to find far more than the number that I have done so far, reading various articles over the last few years it would seem that nobody knows the true extent of the percentage of records that have survived, which range from 30% to 55%, my own success rate is only about 17%, having read the posts on this thread I am left feeling jaded, "both grandfathers" what a result!

David.