The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Is Company C in Canada is Company 3 in CEF?

Guest Aedlund

Guest Aedlund

I was wondering if anyone out there would know if Company C of the 48th Highlanders listed on records in Canada would become Company 3 with the 48th Highlanders overseas in the Canadian Expeditionary Forces. Thanks for any help!

Alexa Edlund

Alexa

A Battalion in the C.E.F. is made of 4 companys each company is made of 4 platoons. Each battalion also had sections like transport, machine gunners ect. Company C would be the 3rd company but they normally used the letter instead of the number A, B,C,and D hope this helps and welcome to the forum.

Best Regards

N.S.Regt.

Hi Alexa:

The 48th Regiment (Highlanders of Toronto) was a pre WWI militia unit that was formed in 1891. During the Great War the 48th Highlanders was redesignated the 15th Infantry Battalion. It's interesting to note the 15th Battalion's cap badge carried all of the elements of their Regimental badge, including the number 48.

I was wondering if anyone out there would know if Company C of the 48th Highlanders listed on records in Canada would become Company 3 with the 48th Highlanders overseas in the Canadian Expeditionary Forces.

Now to your question. It appears from the 15th Battalion war diaries that they went from the number system, for companies, to the letter system on November 19, 1914. From this date on, each Company is designated by a letter. There is no mention of '1 Company' becoming 'A Company' etc. However, it's probably a safe bet that's what happened. I'd be interested in reading comments from Bill Alexander and other CEF experts, who have far more Canadian militia knowledge than I have, on this subject.

Attached is the 15th Battalion war diary entry for November 19, 1914.

Garth

post-2-1090125163.jpg

Guest Aedlund

Thank you both for your informative replies. I am trying to find out more about my grandfather's experiences when he was captured at the 2nd Battle of Ypres. Thanks again for your help. Alexa