The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The quick and the dead

uncle bill

Ah, thanks Richard, his grandson will be pleased at a mention of him in the acknowledgements. I shall have to show him my copy (when I get it!).

Well on the basis of these reviews I have ordered for Xmas via the forum link. I think it will complement nicely "The Great Silence" by Juliet Nicolson which deals with the collective mourning and how society evolved after 1918.

Looking forward to it and alas unsigned!!

Regards

TT

PS reminds me of a conversation I had with my father in law's father. His brother Francis died on the Somme in 1916 and he still rememberered vividly being placed on Francis's shoulders as he marched off and never returned. He shed a few tears when I finally located and visited his grave, alas Robert was too old to go. I now have a photo and 1914/15 star to keep safe on his behalf.

TT

"Thank-you for five years of real happiness - I've missed you all my life."

The first book that I have ever read that brought a tear. So sad

Dazz P

• Admin

I think Santa might be kind- I have been good all year!

Michelle

I ordered my own copy, and have just handed it over to my other half and said you have brought me a Christmas present. I have been very good and resisted the temptation to start reading it.

Mandy

Mandy,

Snap, I ordered myself a copy and immediately it arrived handed it over to be wrapped and given back on 25th!!!

TT

• 2 weeks later...

Well it looks very good and I am looking forward to reading it.

Anyone know why the title..."The Quick and The Dead" or am I missing something?

TT

It's from the text of the Apostles' Creed on the 1662 Book of Common Prayet "The Quick" = "The living" - or in the context of the book title, those left behind

• Admin

Santa left my copy under the tree, looking forward to reading it.

Michelle

Santa left my copy under the tree, looking forward to reading it.

Michelle

Likewise. I have only flicked through it as yet, but it looks as though it will live up to its promises!

Roger

Thanks dave for the explanation...

TT

Santa left me a copy too (thanks Santa :D ). I have to say I was very impressed with how thick it is - lots of lovely reading within its pages no doubt. I can't wait to start it!

Just found an explanation for the title in the front end papers of the inner cover!

TT

• 2 weeks later...
  • Admin

I am reading this book a the moment; I admit I have shed a few tears at times.

Michelle

• Admin

Thanks for the tip Richard! Do you have more material about those children who did get their fathers back from the war but they were as lost to them through injury or mental trauma as though they were dead?

Michelle

Thanks for the tip Richard! Do you have more material about those children who did get their fathers back from the war but they were as lost to them through injury or mental trauma as though they were dead?

Michelle

Hi Michelle. Yes, although of the interviews so far, most lived with the trauma and their fathers' were not entirely lost. One interview is utterly gripping. I am hoping to interview some more when I get time and will save them up with a view to writing something else on the subject, but I haven't quite decided what. As there are no more vets to interview, so I turned to the children and now wished I had done so ten years ago. The Quick and the Dead has re-awoken my love for oral history.

Richard

I'm half way through this now. One word for it: "magnificent".

I too am finding it moving. The recalling of the father waving and gesturing from the top of the hill has caused the biggest lump in the throat so far.

Roger

• Admin

Andrew, you wont regret it!

Mchelle

I am glad this book is picking up some momentum - it deserves some recognition. I can't wait to see Richard van Emeden in action as one of the speakers at the Great War Forum Conference at Tally Ho Centre, Birmingham on 24 March 2012. Be there or miss Richard - never mind the other fab speakers!

Pete

I have just finished it - wonderful. It brings home the "human" side of the war and a refreshing change from reading about "A" Company of 2/1 Boothshire Regiment going over the top at 5.50am following an hours bombardment by 789th Brigade RFA......................

Now I just need to get my copy signed at the conference :thumbsup:

Roger

• Admin

I finished it last night as well. Just loaned it to Dad with my hearty recommendations. Now to read the 2 I got Dad for Christmas, viz The Distant Drum and Retreat And Rearguard 1914.

Michelle

Have just got to the end of the chapter on leave and the last bit was about how Marie Leighton learned of her sons death. This book is so sad! However it is so well written and thought provoking! I feel everyone interested in the Great War should read it. It brings the folly of war home and makes one appreciate that for every helmet or cap or medal or tunic one has in their collection there was a soldier behind it and I had to get my medal collection out and re appraise what I had, not a nice set of shiny medals to this casualty or that but a memorial tribute to a dad, son, husband, brother or other loved one who never made it back and who knows what heart ache there was after the death!

I have one poigniant group to Arthur Wilde who DOW at Arras. With the group are photos of Mum and Dad pre Arthur going to France and also some taken of both at his grave at Duisans taken in 1923. The grave has a wreath and contained in the associated ephemera is a small folding card with a leaf from the wreath plus a dried poppy flower and stem. The grief on the faces of the parents is plainly evident!

Remembering with some sadness today!

TT

TT

A great and well expressed post.

Roger