The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The quick and the dead

uncle bill

I was given this book for Christmas and finished it last week- it is a good read and addresses the issues of loss very well.

Yes it is a bit of a tear inducer and it’s funny how different stories within a book affect different people. It wasn’t the old lady visiting the grave 95 years later that got me; no it was the section of John Lucy’s book where he describes the RAMC Doctor going to help some soldiers who were being shelled and ends up being killed and brought back by his orderly. Shortly afterwards the orderly went out once more to help some more men being shelled and was subsequently killed.

The sentences where Lucy views both bodies and cracks up really puts you right in the moment of a brave man not coping with occurrences around him- “My manhood seeped from me. Ryan’s death had hammered the congealed nail of grief deeper into my heart, and a long suppressed tide of sorrow rose and flowed about me. I heard strange sobs coming from my lips, and felt my spirit fainting”. Powerful writing.

Towards the end of the book are some great stories of how women and children lived after losing their father/husband. There is mention of a dead soldiers wife who wrote to her husbands regiment requesting buttons, I think they were Rifle Brigade buttons. She was a seamstress and made full use of her skills converting scraps to clothing and always wore her husband’s regimental buttons on her clothing.

I collect postcards and have a few of old soldiers in civvies wearing their regimental cap badges as well as wives wearing them. It made me stop and realise that a lot of what we call sweetheart badges could also be considered as mourning badges. The small act of that woman wearing those buttons I found very touching.

A good read.

Scott

• 2 weeks later...

This was a book that arrived via Father Christmas, rather than one I chose myself. When I upwrapped it and read the title I briefly assumed that it was going to be about the 1995 film of the same name, featuring the rather lovely Sharon Stone as a western gunslinger. And, truth be told now I've finished it, I rather wished it had been.

It's not that it isn't well written or well sourced. It is, on both counts. It's just that I didnt find it very interesting or engaging. And I surprise myslef in saying that as I'm usually interested in the "non fighting" aspects of the war. Looking at earlier posts, I seem to be pretty much in a minority of one in not liking it at all. Book's on it's way to the charity shop. Such is life.

Hang on to your copy for a couple of months, John.

Bring it to the GWF Conference...sell it....donate the proceeds to GWF funds.

Simples!

Bruce

This was a book that arrived via Father Christmas, rather than one I chose myself. When I upwrapped it and read the title I briefly assumed that it was going to be about the 1995 film of the same name, featuring the rather lovely Sharon Stone as a western gunslinger. And, truth be told now I've finished it, I rather wished it had been.

It's not that it isn't well written or well sourced. It is, on both counts. It's just that I didnt find it very interesting or engaging. And I surprise myslef in saying that as I'm usually interested in the "non fighting" aspects of the war. Looking at earlier posts, I seem to be pretty much in a minority of one in not liking it at all. Book's on it's way to the charity shop. Such is life.

Slightly odd that you should think a boy pointing to his dead father's name on a WW1 memorial was possibly a Sharon Stone movie. I must think more carefully about my covers next time!

All best

Richard

I also have read this book as the reviews on here were full of praise. I must admit i found the book very poignant and thought provoking. My Graet Grandmother died of a `broken heart` in 1923 because my Gt Uncle was killed in 1915 on 26th September. I have copies of letters that were written by his friends as my Gt Grandparents did not believe that he was dead. The same happened to my other Great Grandparents when another Gt Uncle was killed in 1918. They threw his medals away.

Frances

• 8 months later...

Have just finished reading "the Quick and the Dead" by Richard Van Emden and thought it was the most moving book I have read on the Great War and has made me think very differently about those that suffered during the war. In particular those family members that were left behind when the men folk did not return. Reading the feelings and thoughts of the children who lost fathers in particular brought a lump to my throat when I imagined my own young daughters being put in the same situation. The head stone inscriptions at the start of each chapter is a masterly touch!

In my opinion this is a must read for anyone interested in the emotional and social impact the Great War had on those families that were directly involved.

Excellent!

Ant

I read it earlier this year and thought it was great. Infact, after I finish my current read, I'm going to read it again. For me it's one of those books that will stand up to repeat reading.

As other members have already mentioned, the soldier walking up the hill with his daughter and the old women leaving the note on her fathers grave filled me with tears.

Neil