The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Official History DVD

barry-ashton

Does anybody have comments - good or bad - on the usefulnes of "OFFICIAL HISTORY OF THE GREAT WAR. FRANCE & BELGIUM. DVD-Rom"? Is it user friendly? Is it possible to copy and paste from it?

Does anybody have comments - good or bad - on the usefulnes of "OFFICIAL HISTORY OF THE GREAT WAR. FRANCE & BELGIUM. DVD-Rom"? Is it user friendly? Is it possible to copy and paste from it?

It's user friendly, with excellent maps, but you cannot copy and paste from it. Which is a real bind.

Mike

Just a thought but with Mac's and also some other bought software you can take screenshots on your computer so you could certainly capture information.I'm using a trial software at the moment which allows me to capture in pdf as well as jpeg (and others)

There may well be copyright issues but I would think that it would be OK to use such software for your own use.

Just a thought but with Mac's and also some other bought software you can take screenshots on your computer so you could certainly capture information.I'm using a trial software at the moment which allows me to capture in pdf as well as jpeg (and others)

There may well be copyright issues but I would think that it would be OK to use such software for your own use.

I would be interested in any software that might let me do that Liam. It is possible to capture a screen shot, and even make a sort of pdf? I used pdf creator, but it is not copy-able or searchable.

Mike

I would be interested in any software that might let me do that Liam. It is possible to capture a screen shot, and even make a sort of pdf? I used pdf creator, but it is not copy-able or searchable.

Mike

Hello Mike

If you use Windows you already have the capability to capture screen images (screen shot). Press the Flying Window button (between Ctrl and Alt key on bottom row of keyboard) and Print Screen Button (top row towards the right) at the same time. Open the Paint programme in Accessories and Paste.

There are better free programmes which allow for refinements of what part of the screen to copy etc try MWSnap 3 which is one I have used for years.

Google "save jpg as pdf" to get what you want for pdf files.

Kevin

If you have a resonable quality Jpg file (such as a screen shot might produce - especially when converted to Black and White and sharpened slightly) you can also then run it through an OCR program and turn it into text. I do this all the time. This makes it searchable and cut/pasteable (into word). If you have Adobe Actobat it has an internal OCR function that will "capture" characters in PDFs and make them searchable too -- I only have an older version (6.0) and it is not all that great in terms of accuracy and reliablity It usually depends on the quality and typeface used in the original - I have mostly done this with scans of documents. I did find a free OCR program which has been very good I do not recall its name but when I get home I can post it if there is interest.

I have found converting images into text is very variable - if you turn a typed piece of word-processed document into a pdf and then OCR/Capture it it is about 95% accurate. If I scan a period newspaper article and do it to that it is perhaps 75/80% accurate. I would think a screen shot would be far closer to the 95%.

Chris

Guys

Many thanks for your comments - I have just ordered a copy. It is a pity there is not a facility to copy, at least up to a set line limit, but hopefully there are adequate workarounds for private use.

Barry

Hi Mike,

On windows and on Macs there is already a possibility to do a screen shot and on Mac (don't know about windows) there is a command that allows you to select the portion of the screen that you want,very handy indeed but this ends up a a Jpeg file and not so easy to manipulate.

I am trying a piece of software at the moment called Snapz Pro which allows saving to pdf.I have no connection or interest here just passing on info and yes it does work and was very handy on a recent project.

Hope you enjoy the DVD.

Best/Liam

• 5 years later...

Am still using my copy of the CD-ROM Official History. I am running W10 and it is working no problem.I think the biggest difficulty is not with the Windows Operating System but with Adobe Reader. It will not run with Adobe Acrobat, but, have uninstalled that and am running Adobe Reader 9, and it's working fine.

Mike

I have Windows 10 and Adobe Acrobat Reader DC.  I am able to copy and paste from the Other Histories DVD but not from the France and Belgium one. The  paragraph below is copied and pasted from Operations in Persia 1914-1919 on the Other Histories DVD. I simply highlighted the first paragraph, clicked Edit, then Copy, moved to this website, right clicked and selected Paste. When I try from the France and Belgium DVD, however, I am told that 'There was an error while copying to the Clipboard. An internal error occurred.'

I can print from the France and Belgium DVD.

Persia, as Sir Henry Rawlinson, Lord Curzon and other
men of note reminded us at different times during the nineteenth
century, was destined by her geographical situation to play
a part in the future history of the East altogether disproportionate
to her size or her rank in the scale of nations, while
the condition of her people and the temper of her government
were further factors, which, for good or ill, might powerfully
affect the fortunes of our Indian Empire. At the beginning
of the present century these factors, losing none of their importance,
had been considerably affected by the great development
in the East of European international rivalry and by a
growing local demand for reform in government. By 1914 the
establishment of Persian constitutional government and the
Anglo-Russian Convention of 1907 may be said to have
entirely dominated the situation.

That's interesting Gibbo. (you transcribed it yourself, really, didn't you? Yes you did) Probably illegal to do that and post here, but, for your own research am sure perfectly acceptable. I will have go on the OH Other Theatres disk later.

Mike