The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

An Ice Cream War

better ole

I've recently invested the princely sum of 1p plus postage etc of this William Boyd Novel,'An Ice Cream War'. Has anyone read this book and is it worth me spending several hours of my life reading it?

Thank you in advance.

Indeed it is, though some time since I read it.

cheers Martin B

It must be nearly 30 years since I read it. I only vaguely remember the storyline and I think I was expecting something historical but in the Tom Sharpe mode of humour, which expectation was a result of reading Boyd's first book A Good Man in Africa. My memory tells me I should give the book a thumps up :thumbsup:

Regards,

Jonathan S

Very Definitely Yes.

You get interesting snapshots of events & attitudes from both sides of the conflict.

Harry

Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

I did purchase this book from Amazon, using the forum link. I don't suppose we will get much from that transaction! :whistle:

Other novels on the East Africa campaign are:

Forester, CS, The African Queen (London, 1956) - an all time favourite. Not much about the war at all, Liemba (see Sub-Saharan Africa discussion for discussions) makes an appearance though

Smith, Wilbur, Shout at the devil (London, 1998) - my least favourite; http://www.beep.com/members45/poetryrose/konigsberg.htm raises a pertinent question about the characterisation

Stevenson, William, The ghosts of Africa (London, 1980) - historical basis to events but not an accurate reflection of the campaign, some might say a gripping read

Wende, Hamilton, The King’s Shilling: A novel (Johannesburg, 2005) - starts well but then becomes a little far-fetched

Ice-cream War ranks as one of my favourites of the campaign.

Please let me know if you've found any others. I'm trying to compile a complete list. Many thanks...

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks everyone, I have read and enjoyed the book and give it a :thumbsup:

• 2 years later...

I have just joined and am so pleased to see 'An Ice cream war' pop up. Years ago I wrote: "SEventeen Letters to Tatham: A WWI Surgeon in East AFrica" William Boyd wrote the Foreword which was very kind. The interesting thing here was that in the UK edition of Boyd' book the protagonist was named Temple, athough Boyd told me he had really no idea why he chose that name, and my grandfather, the surgeon in question in my book was Lt. Col. Dr. Edward Temple Harris, always known as Temple in the family. He died aged 49 in Burma. He was named Temple in honour of his mother's favourite cousin, Archbishop William Temple. Going to Tanga, where the famous battle took place in 1914, where the British were soundly beaten, was an exciting experience. Also finding the Red House, where the wounded were treated and where four doctors were left behind when the British first retreated with their ships. Fortunately they came back to take more wounded off a few days later. "An Ice Cream War' is legendary in that part of Africa. Although not still writing about this campaign I'm always interested if anyone has more to add to the story.

Anncie

yup... quite an old thread.... but it's on the list for the next library visit, as even here in Leuven they have it !!

M.

I have just joined and am so pleased to see 'An Ice cream war' pop up. Years ago I wrote: "SEventeen Letters to Tatham: A WWI Surgeon in East AFrica" William Boyd wrote the Foreword which was very kind. The interesting thing here was that in the UK edition of Boyd' book the protagonist was named Temple, athough Boyd told me he had really no idea why he chose that name, and my grandfather, the surgeon in question in my book was Lt. Col. Dr. Edward Temple Harris, always known as Temple in the family. He died aged 49 in Burma. He was named Temple in honour of his mother's favourite cousin, Archbishop William Temple. Going to Tanga, where the famous battle took place in 1914, where the British were soundly beaten, was an exciting experience. Also finding the Red House, where the wounded were treated and where four doctors were left behind when the British first retreated with their ships. Fortunately they came back to take more wounded off a few days later. "An Ice Cream War' is legendary in that part of Africa. Although not still writing about this campaign I'm always interested if anyone has more to add to the story.

Anncie

Welcome to the Forum Anncie