The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Fred Kemish - Hampshire Regiment

MJM

I would be grateful for any information regarding my great uncle Fred Kemish, he was born in Michelmersh or Timsbury, Hampshire, but his family moved to Thorney Island when he was very young and I believe he is commemorated on the Roll of Honour in Thorney Island Church. There is no known grave and he is recorded on the Ploegsteert Memorial which I have visited. Also the information on CGWC records his mother as Mary Ann Sander which should be Gander.

Name: KEMISH, FRED

Initials: F

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Hampshire Regiment

Unit Text: 1st Bn.

Date of Death: 01/11/1914

Service No: 9300

Additional information: Son of Mary Ann Sander (formerly Kemish) of Prospect Cottage, Havant, Hants.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 6

Cemetery: PLOEGSTEERT MEMORIAL

Also, any information regarding my grandfather, Fred’s brother – William George Kemish 45657 Rifle Brigade – he enlisted September 3rd 1914, was wounded twice and finished his service working in Southampton Docks.

On his discharge papers it records – Unit and Regiment or Corps - from which - Transferred to Reserve – 16th 9W (?) Batt Worcs Regt. Does this mean he had been transferred from RB to Worcs Regt ?

Thanks for any info – this is my first go.

Guest Ian Bowbrick

You need to e-mail Thompson Man - Marc Thompson that is who will probably be able to tell you what size boot he wore.

Ian

who will probably be able to tell you what size boot he wore.

Ian - thanks for the pointer to MJM. If only I had that type of information available for all the Hampshire's.

Michael (MJM) - Welcome to the forum and thanks for the separate off-forum e-mail which I have responded to with some information on Pte Kemish.

Regards

Marc

Marc

I was interested to see this as it links to one of the Grateley men I am reseaching; Charles Horne. if you could publish the detail on the site, I would be grateful.

Delta,

A pen potrait of the Battalions movements around 1st November 1914 is as follows:

28/10 - Relieved 1st Somerset Light Infantry in front line east of Ploegsteert Wood. Line held was approximately 2,000 yards and ran from the Douve via St. Yves to Le Gheer.

War Diary notes that the whole Battalion, with the exception of 1 platoon of "A" Company, were in the firing line. "B" on the left followed by "C", "D" then "A". German trenches ran parallel and were about 1,100 yards away.

30/10 - Enemy bombarded Battalion's trenches between 6.30 a.m. and 4.40 p.m. then attacked in large numbers.

Enemy were checked nearly everywhere except for the left centre where dead ground helped the Germans get forward. Heavy losses were incurred at a forward post held by Lieutenant Trimmer and No.10 Platoon. The party were overwhelmed and the attacking force entered "C" Company's line.

"A" Company of the 1st Somerset Light Infantry (brigade reserve) were sent up and together with the survivors of "C" Company were able to prevent any further gains by putting up a barricade across the trench.

War Diary records casualties amoung No.10 Platoon as Lieutenant Trimmer and 12 other ranks killed, Lieutenant Wade and 20 other ranks wounded, 40 missing. Other casualties were Captain Harland and 3 other ranks killed, 16 other ranks wounded, 1 missing.

31/10 - That night much of the line was re-dug, from which the battalion benefitted next day, when the trenches were subjected to another tremendous bombardment followed once again by an infantry attack.

This time the enemy again reached the wire in front of the Hampshire's trenches but were driven back without the brigade reserve being called upon; the enemy had suffered heavily, 75 of their dead being counted in front of one short trench only.

01/11 & 02/11 - On November 1st and 2nd the line was again heavily bombarded and infantry attacks again followed. Though suffering severely from the bombardment, the Hampshire's were quite ready for the infantry and punished them heavily whenever they tried to take advantage of the shell-fire and advance.

With infantry attacks, the Hampshire's could deal, even one particularly violent effort early on November 1st was repulsed without having to call on the brigade reserves. Next day (02/11) the Germans broke in, part of "D" Company's line being taken, but this was soon recaptured by a party of 40 men led by Captains Unwin and Beckett.

Relieved by 3rd Worcestershire during night of 02/11 and to billets at Ploegsteert.

Casualties since going into the line on 28/10 were 2 officers killed, 5 wounded, 46 other ranks killed, 121 wounded, 51 missing. Of the latter, many were probably buried under blown-in trenches.

Pte 8691 Charles Horne survived this action but was killed in action just over two weeks later in positions around Le Gheer on 18th November 1914, either during relief of 1st East Lancashire's or as a victim of a German sniper. He is buried in Ploegsteert Churchyard.

Marc

The grave of Pte 8691 Charles Horne in Ploegsteert Churchyard.

Delta - I also have a photo of the gravestone for Pte Goddard who is commemorated on Grateley War memorial. I still have your e-mail address so will send you copies of both.

Marc

Many, many thanks for your kindness in providing the above ifno. I would idneed be most grateful for the other photo; my mobile e-mail address is "stephen.pope@fsmail.net"