The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Help with background on some German units

bmac

Can anyone of our German experts help with a bit of background. I am trying to find out what two divisions and their regiments did prior to 1st July 1916. The divisions are:

2 Guard Reserve Division, comprising:

55 RIR

77 RIR

91 RIR

52 Infantry Division, comprising:

Bad IR 170 (9th Baden)

Bad IR 169 (8th Baden)

66 IR (3rd Magdeburg)

I am keen to know which campaigns they may have been involved in, also which parts of the country the regiments were recruited from if that is identifiable.

The 2nd Guard Reserve Division started the war as part of the Second Army, von Bülow, the division fought at Namur in 1914, Marbaix, Ribemont and St. Quentin. The division fought at the Marne and ended up on the Rheims front after the withdrawal.

In 1915 the division was split up with one brigade going into line between Thiescourt and the Oise (15th and 55th RIR) while the other brigade went to the forest of the Argonne (77th and 91st RIR). The division was regrouped at the end of April 1915 and sent to the district of La Bassee and fouhgt in the Cuinchy-Givenchy sector in June and July.

At the beginning of August the division was sent to rest near Cambrai. September, occupied the sector Vingles-Hulluch south of the La Bassee Canal. September 25-26 took part in the third battle of the Artois, parts of the division fought at Loos October 8th. The division remained in the La Bassee area until April 1916 when it was sent to Gommecourt area after resting in Belgium.

The 15th RIR was from Westphalia and the 77th and 91st were from the Hanover District.

I will post more shortly.

Ralph

From the History of 251 German divisions book

Part 2.

You already have the origins of the different regiments of the 52nd Division. The division was formed in March 1915 and was placed in line South of Arras, Monchy aux Bois, Hebuterne until September 1916. It was not involved in any major actions until the battle of the Somme other than the French attacks near Serre in June 1915.

Ralph

Bill,

The regimental history shows the regiment was formed in Paderborn, Soest and Detmold with additional men coming from Westfalia or Lipper. Hope this helps.

Ralph

Ah

Paderborn and Detmold my old stamping grounds in the 60's.

John