The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

German XVIIth Army Corps

Robert Dunlop

Does anyone have the OOBs for the German XVIIth Army Corps that faced the French attack south of the Somme on 1st July 1916? The only division I know of was the 121st that was immediately south of the river.

Thanks

Robert

Robert,

My maps show that it was the 121st Division (60th IR, 7th RIR, 56th RIR) and then the 11th Division (10th Grenadier Regiment, 38th Fusiliers, 11th Grenadier Regiment and 51st IR).

Ralph

Excellent. Thanks Ralph. The only map that I could find does not go far enough south.

Robert

Could I also ask who was the commander of XVII Corps on July 1, 1916, please?

Thanks

Robert

Sorry Robert,

I do not have his name at the present. It is buried in my files that are currently all over the house as we are finishing a new kitchen. If you do not hear from anyone in the next week or so I hope to locate the folder and can let you know then.

Ralph

Hello,

According to what I found, General der Infanterie Günther von Pannewitz was commander of the XVII. Armeekorps on 1 July 1916.

The Armeekorps was made up of the 35. and 36. Infanterie-Division at this time.

Jan

Thank you, Jan. Forgive me, but the description of the 35th and 36th Divisions as part of XVIIth Corps does not seem to tally. My sources had 121st, confirmed by Ralph, who also noted the 11th Division.

Robert

Hello,

I only checked the '251 Divisions' this morning.

According to the Official History, the XVII. Armeekorps (HQ in Athies) consisted of (from N to S) 121. (Feuilleres to Assevillers), 11. (Fuy to Vermandovillers), 35. (to Maucourt) and 36. (to Damery) Infanterie-Division. The 22. Reserve-Division was apparently in reserve.

Regards,

Jan