The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Uniforms of World War I

Waddell

I see this book has finally been released and I was curious if any of the uniform men or book reviewers on the forum had read through this book yet?

Here is the link-

http://www.amazon.com/Illustrated-Encyclopedia-Uniforms-World-Austro-Hungary/dp/0754823407/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1318822987&sr=1-1

The price looks good, particularly through Amazon. Thinking of buying it to identify some of those odd uniforms in postcards.

Scott

I think this book is like the three or so others in this series. For each one, authors were found who were almost expert on the subject, or expert on only part of the subject, and then given the support of a team of artists and layout designers who knew nothing on the subject. All the recent information on the topics was mined (a good thing). The results were pretty much the same for each book in the series: good reviews by readers somewhat new to the subject, poorer reviews by more knowledgeable readers who were annoyed at finding too many errors.

Best thing going for them--the price.

• 2 weeks later...

I think this book is like the three or so others in this series. For each one, authors were found who were almost expert on the subject, or expert on only part of the subject, and then given the support of a team of artists and layout designers who knew nothing on the subject. All the recent information on the topics was mined (a good thing). The results were pretty much the same for each book in the series: good reviews by readers somewhat new to the subject, poorer reviews by more knowledgeable readers who were annoyed at finding too many errors.

Thanks,

You are right, the same has been said about the Napoleonic book. I might stick with my Osprey and Schiffer books for a while longer.

Yes- it is well priced!

Scott

• 1 year later...

What book/reference would you recommend for uniforms?

It's for our theatre production, to guide the producer & costume designer.

What book/reference would you recommend for uniforms?

It's for our theatre production, to guide the producer & costume designer.

Hi Bernard,

It might depend on what nationality uniform they are trying to replicate? British, Australian or other nationality.

The Schiffer books are great, but expensive. The book on British and Commonwealth uniforms and equipment is a collection of photographs (very good photographs) of soldiers and their kit during the war. The Schiffer book on Doughboys is of a different layout altogether featuring original photos, equipment and re-enactors. The Osprey books are smaller and more specific to a nation, regiment or campaign and along with photographs also feature colour artwork of the uniforms and equipment in plates.

Another useful book for specific images of tunics, badges and equipment, etc is 'Tommy's War- British Military Memorabilia 1914-18' by Peter Doyle.

Plenty of other books on uniforms out there I'm sure.

Lawrence ordnance in Sydney also make replica gear that some re-enactors wear. Their website has plenty of images ( mostly Australian gear).

If you are interested I can bring the books mentioned above along to the Tony Cuneen talk.

Regards,

Scott

Note- Just realised that both the books on British uniforms mentioned above are written by forum members.

Cheers Scott. Looks like the Osprey books are held by a few libraries locally, that might be the way to go. We got the puttees for the 2010 production from Lawrence Ordnance. Might buy the jackets from them as previously we rented from ABC. If we get stuck on a particular uniform, I'll give you a shout. Thanks and see you next week.

No problems Bernard.

You need to clear your inbox as well as it is not accepting PM's.

Scott