The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Private George Henry Rhodes

Guest saphire

Guest saphire

Hello All,

My grandfather George H. Rhodes Number 12430,served with the Royal Worcester Regiment 1909-1916. He did service abroad in France, and was wounded and discharged.I have his Silver Badge Number. However the Worcester Reg. Museum trust require his Battalion to be able to help further. My Grandfather was raised in Aston but was orphaned in 1908. He signed up for the army in Wednesbury 1909 for some reason.Does anyone know how I might get information on his Signing up papers to see where he was living at time and any other information please.With thanks.

Hello saphire, welcome to the forum and good luck

I wouldn't bother with the regimental museum just yet.

In order to find more about how to find a soldier's service record, make sure you have first visited "Grandad's War" at The Long, Long Trail website. There's a link to it at top-left of this page. Be sure to read at least "The Basics", "Service Papers" and "Grandad's Medals".

His battalion will be noted on his entry in the medal rolls, and there is a high liklihood of you finding this.

When you know the battalion, take a look at the Worcesters page on "The Long, Long Trail". You'll then know a lot more about what questions to ask, and then contacting the museum might be helpful.