The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Official History Other Theatres

Skipman

OFFICIAL HISTORY OF THE GREAT WAR. Military Operations Other Theatres. DVD-Rom.

Has anyone bought this yet. I imagine it will be of similar quality to the France & Flanders DVD?

Are there any bugs?

Is it value for money?

Also, would it be possible to have the same 'help the forum' system (as we have with Abe-Books & Amazon) with N & MP?

I probably will buy the DVD Other Theatres, and already have F & F and a slice of £150, ot £225 would be useful to the Forum?

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

Ordered and paid for mid-September. No mention of problems until Gary replied to an ETA enquiry on 11 October to say "it's not in stock yet...it was advertised as 'might take longer than 28 days...expected end of October."

Heard nothing since which, I am afraid, represents the 'standard' appalling service I have experienced too many times from N&MP.

Cheers,

Simon

• 2 weeks later...

For the sake of completeness, it arrived today.

Cheers,

Simon

I know there advantages to dvd but for me hard copy every time. There's something impermanant about a bit of plastic - in a format which will change - and lacking the smell, touch and permanence of a hardback book. My kindle's fine but I just like books. Far too much my wife says.

David

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have a copy of the DVD but I would say that it does make available in a ready format the Other Theatres OH volumes.

These volumes are not that easily available as reprints (though N&M can probably oblige with most). It also has the advantage of making all the maps (folding and bound in) available in colour which is a real bonus. The folding maps can be difficult to find in any format so this is a valuable asset to this complete set.

Inevitably N&M will have had to restrict the ability to copy/cut & paste. Sadly in these days when some would abuse this facility it is the case that the disc would not appear without this restriction.

(though N&M can probably oblige with most).

They will indeed. You can buy the set for £450 (if you have a metre of free bookshelf space), or the DVD for half that figure.

I'm an avowed bookaholic, over 900 on the Great War alone and counting. My Great War wish list on a well-known book-buying website runs to over 300 more volumes. But when faced with a combination of fiscal discipline and shelf space I capitulated and bought the DVD.

It's very good, BTW.

Simon.

They will indeed. You can buy the set for £450 (if you have a metre of free bookshelf space), or the DVD for half that figure.

I'm an avowed bookaholic, over 900 on the Great War alone and counting. My Great War wish list on a well-known book-buying website runs to over 300 more volumes. But when faced with a combination of fiscal discipline and shelf space I capitulated and bought the DVD.

It's very good, BTW.

Simon.

Though you will not get the map cases .......

I know there advantages to dvd but for me hard copy every time. There's something impermanant about a bit of plastic - in a format which will change - and lacking the smell, touch and permanence of a hardback book. My kindle's fine but I just like books. Far too much my wife says.

David

I couldn't agree more, David. In this instance, I know I will never buy this particular set and it's such a pain to travel to consult volumes on the one occasion a year I need them. The irony is, I forgot why I needed them this time!

Cheers,

Simon

• 2 weeks later...

There's a 20% off, sale at N & MP just now on any order. So it's going for £180. I'm tempted, but there's no rush, and it might come back down to the £150 price some time. You reckon?

Mike

By the frequency N & MP have been pumping out e-mails lately it wouldn't surprise me if they came down further, must be getting

desperate for sales.

I agree it's getting close to stopping these emails they arrive two sometimes 3 or 4 a day, they must be desperate.

By the frequency N & MP have been pumping out e-mails lately it wouldn't surprise me if they came down further, must be getting

desperate for sales.