The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Photo Machine Gun Corps

GrandsonMichael

Hi one and all,

Found this photo which belonged to my grandfather and although a slow learner I think it's M.G.C. for sure... ;)

1. Is there someone who has any idea as to the identity of the group.

2. What are the 'things' cradled on the knees of the grasshoppers? Surely not machine guns???

Cheers,

Michael

post-2-1090341306.jpg

Thanks for yer reply, but ...uh.. what are they exactly and what were they used for?

Cheers,

Michael

They would be used for rangefinding prominent objects in their arc of fire, and making out a range card so that they can switch from one target to another and just adjust their sight. see attached drawing.

Range_Card.doc

Thanks a lot.

This really clarifies things, I never new they existed...

Cheers,

Michael

I'm no expert, but I think they're made by Barr & Stroud also.

Terrific picture - don't see the rangefinder in MGC pics all that often. Appreciate your sharing it!

They were used more in the Artillery.

John

Thanks Staffs, glad you like the photo, I nearly missed this photo as they were amongst a whole lot concerning service of my grandfather in Canada after WW1.

Imagine my surprise and delight when I recognized the M.G.C. cap badges.

At a guess this photo could have been taken at the M.G.C. Training Centre in Grantham.....?

Cheers,

Michael

• 1 month later...

The Barr & Stroud RFs shown are the No 2 INFANTRY version, specific to the vickers machine gun. Artillery RFs are indeed similar. Each MG section had one RF trained scout and the WWI handbok actually lists the trg cse.

Great postcard.

Mark

This little snippet from 'Handbook of the German Army 1914' illustrates the use of the information from a rangefinder in context:

'Fire control

The system of fire control is very much the same as that which obtains at the Hythe School of Musketry. The target ranges, and nature of fire are given out by the controlling officer, and repeated by the non-commissioned officers. Hand signals or the voice are used for opening and ceasing fire, the non-commissioned officer, or No 1, tapping the firer on the shoulder, as we do, to stop him firing.'

Robert

Mark & robert,

Thanks a lot for the additional info you supplied.

It keeps on astounding me how much accumulated knowledge exists among the forum members. I wonder sometimes how much I am missing too....

Great stuff.

Cheers,

Michael