The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

scots guards

glasgow

Hello

Looking for info on Robert Bach of the Scots Guards.

He survived the war but died some years ago. Unfortunately no living relatives that I know of.

Trying to find out which Battalion he was in and really anything and as much as I can. Can anybody help?

Thanks

This is the only "Robert Bach" listed on the National Archive on-line medal card index:

Private 8337 Robert Bach, Scots Guards.

You can download his medal card (for a fee of £3.50) at the National Archives Website.

I would also recommend that you write to the Scots Guards Regimental Archivist for a copy of his service papers. I don't have their address to hand at the moment.

There are a number of other avenues that you could explore but I would personally start by obtaining his service papers.

Hope this helps

Ed

Guest Ian Bowbrick
Trying to find out which Battalion he was in

Thayt will be on the medal roll.

A copy of his service record would be available for the sum of £25 from the Guards Museum/Archive which is situated in Birdcage Walk, Westminster, London SW1.

Ian

I was under the impression that service records were free...although they do like a donation...ten pounds etc...is that 25 each?

Dave

I guess they may be free if available from PRO but these are from a museum. SOmeone can tell us why they have records when others burned, obvious answer is they had separate copies in 1940.

By the way, where were they when burned?