The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Pte Robert Bruce, Canadians

carninyj

Hi

The Ballymena Weekly Telegraph (BWT) has a report dated 23rd September 1916 about a Pte Robert Bruce, Canadians, but it supplies few details about him. His father was Mr Wm. Bruce, Duneane, Toomebridge, Co Antrim. Does anyone know who he was? Was he killed about this date? Any assistance would be welcome.

Thanks in anticipation.

Carninyj

Hi Carninyj:

Welcome to the forum. Sorry, the National Archives of Canada doesn't have the attestation papers for men with the name Robert Bruce available online yet. The CWGC lists three Canadians named Robert Bruce. Two show their NOK as living in Canada and the third, Robert Ashley Bruce, has no NOK listed. R. A. Bruce died on August 10, 1918.

I know Des has done extensive research on the men of Ballymena. Hopefully he can provide you with some information.

Garth

Hi Mordac

Thanks for the reply. Des can't help with this one either. The Canadian enthusiasts were a last hope.

Thanks anyhow.

Carninyj

Thanks for the reply.  Des can't help with this one either.  The Canadian enthusiasts were a last hope.

Hi Carninyj:

Don't give up hope. The NAC is adding new attestation papers on a regular basis. I've put Robert Bruce on a 'check' list of about a dozen men I'm researching and waiting for their papers to go online. I'll let you know when his papers are available.

Garth

Hi Carninyj

There is a Pte. Robert Bruce 124459, who was reported missing on Sept. 18th 1916. He was 22 years old and was serving in the 24th Bn. CEF at the time. His name appears on the Vimy memorial, France. His soldiers numbers are from a block of numbers allotted to the 70th Battalion. The 70th sailed to England on the 24th of April, 1916. They were absorbed into the 39th Bn, CEF. Who themselves were absorbed into the 6th Reserve Bn.

If a Pal has the sailing roster for the 70th Bn. it may show his next of kin with address. Mordac is right. With the NAC adding new attestation papers on a regular basis it will sure take a lot of the guess work out of some searches.

Best regards

HQ7