The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The Platoon

Cockney

Has anyone read this new release from P&S?

The blurb reads:

"Joseph Johns Steward fought in the Great War, from the Battle of the Somme to the final offensives of 1918, and he was an acute, unflinching observer of the conflict he took part in – of life and death on the Western Front. He was a writer, too. He recorded his experiences in accurate detail and later in life he wrote a graphic semifictionalized account of his wartime career, his comrades and his platoon. His narrative is published here for the first time, edited, annotated and with an introduction by Andrew Robertshaw and Steve Roberts. Their research into Steward's story is a fascinating example of how such work can be used to give a vivid insight into the experiences of a Great War ancestor. For Steward provides an in-depth soldier's eyeview of combat and of the routines of life, and survival, in the front line. He concentrates on his immediate experiences and on those of his platoon, the small, close-knit team of men who together confronted the reality of fighting during key battles on the Western Front. His recollections leave us with a strong impression of the contrasting personalities of his comrades in arms, with whom he shared the extraordinary ordeal of war. The Platoon demonstrates, as only a first-hand account can, what the war was like at the lowest level, for the ordinary private soldier for whom grand strategy and major events are distant concerns and for whom rations, letters, leave – and comradeship – are critical."

I have bought this one on spec but wondered if anyone has read it yet.

• 1 month later...

The blurb reads:

"Joseph Johns Steward fought in the Great War, from the Battle of the Somme to the final offensives of 1918, and he was an acute, unflinching observer of the conflict he took part in – of life and death on the Western Front. He was a writer, too. He recorded his experiences in accurate detail and later in life he wrote a graphic semifictionalized account of his wartime career, his comrades and his platoon. His narrative is published here for the first time, edited, annotated and with an introduction by Andrew Robertshaw and Steve Roberts. Their research into Steward's story is a fascinating example of how such work can be used to give a vivid insight into the experiences of a Great War ancestor. For Steward provides an in-depth soldier's eyeview of combat and of the routines of life, and survival, in the front line. He concentrates on his immediate experiences and on those of his platoon, the small, close-knit team of men who together confronted the reality of fighting during key battles on the Western Front. His recollections leave us with a strong impression of the contrasting personalities of his comrades in arms, with whom he shared the extraordinary ordeal of war. The Platoon demonstrates, as only a first-hand account can, what the war was like at the lowest level, for the ordinary private soldier for whom grand strategy and major events are distant concerns and for whom rations, letters, leave – and comradeship – are critical."

I have bought this one on spec but wondered if anyone has read it yet.

Good evening

I put a post on about this book recently too as was thinking of reading it, waiting out so far. Is it a good read? From the front cover I take it to be about a Kensingtons soldier? Got a few titles I'm intending to buy so need to weigh up if this is a good one

Greatly value your opinion

Many thanks

Jim

• Admin

Just what we need another 'semi-fictionalised' account of an infantryman on the Western Front, not considered worthy of publication in the author's lifetime (George Coppard where are you?).

Whilst i have a copy of Robertshaw's (with Kenyon) Digging the Trenches, and enjoyed reading it I don't think I'll bother with this one.

In any event he seems to have missed a trick here because unlike the 'semi-fictionalised' Somme Mud he has annotated this book whereas the editor of the former published his annotations as a sequel - outstanding!

I notice this one is already reduced (£11.51 new/ £10.73 used) wait a few more weeks and pick it up in the remaindered bin for a couple of quid.

Ken

Hi Ken

Must admit the 'semi fictionalised' plus dropping price and quickly sprung 'used copies' did make me think. Found no reviews of it anywhere either.

Think you're right and will leave it for now

Many thanks

Jim

• Admin

Talking of remaindered I notice a new George Coppard paperback is £39 on Amazon (gulp) whereas even second hand copies of 'With a Machine Gun to Cambrai' will cost £16.

i wouldn't criticise anything I'd not read but I do deplore the appalling genre of 'twenty first century newly discovered memoirs' and would agree Coppard's slim volume is worth twice the price of any of those I've seen! Although imo there is no comparison when it comes to provenance and authenticity.

Ken

I know what you mean re: 'With a Machine Gun to Cambrai' - my copy was lost in a house move and looked to get again on Amazon and was shocked at the price! But a brilliant read

Must say, re: 21st century 'released' memoirs, 'Drawing Fire' by Len Smith (7th Londons) is excellent

Value the book reviews on the forum

Thanks again

Jim

• 5 months later...

Having just read the "Platoon" which I enjoyed semi-fictionalised or not, I think it was as good a read as many allegedly true to life books.

Colin.