The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Sgt., G Hanbury

Cliff. Hobson

An acquaintance of mine is trying to find out his Grandfathers military history ( Sgt., George Hanbury one time Machine Gunner,) evidently a regular soldier pre. 1914/18 served on the Western Front got him down as serving in the 23rd Batt., Sherwood Foresters, no knowledge of such a Batt.,

His Regimental Number was 811, can someone tell me please if this number would denote the 1st Batt., Sherwod Foresters or 2nd Batt.,

Regards Cliff.

Guest Hill 60

Cliff - I don't know the answer, but I had a look at the 1st & 2nd Battalions on the SDGW and the lowest number in the 8000 lot are:

1st Bn - 8361

2nd Bn - 8380

Probably doesn't help you at all.

His Regimental Number was 811, can someone tell me please if this number would denote the 1st Batt., Sherwod Foresters or 2nd Batt.,

Cliff.

I don't think you can tell his battalion just by his number alone. You may have to find his MIC or the medal rolls to find this out.

I did a similar search to Lee on SDGW, but for the whole of the Notts and Derby Regt. and only came up with 5 three digit service numbers beginning with "8". These were "883" in the 1st Bn., "829" in the 2nd Bn., and "858","876" and "892" all in the 1/7th Bn. I also came across the service number "8" for the 1/8th Bn. I don't think this helps you any, but it backs up my above comment.

Dave.

Cliff,

I agree with the above two posts.

If it was a four digit number prefixed with an eight then it could have a regular number.

As for 23 rd Btn NDR like you no knowledge, but , how about 23rd Machine Gun Company M.G.C. ?

Stuart

3 digit numbers in the SF's are often, though not exclusively, territorial (e.g. 938, Frank Godson, 1/8th Bn). And, to confirm, there was no 23rd Bn (21 is the highest). What's the origin of this assumption by your acquaintance?

To :- Lee, Croonaert, Stuart, Andrew.

My thanks for your replies and observations, Stuart if this acuaintance has made a mistake re 23rd Bn. for 23 M.G.C. when the Corps were formed I can see no evidence of any Forester Batts., serving in 23 Bde., although this does not preclude this fellow when he was transferred going to 23rd M.G.C. Co.,

Andrew I have only spoken to this acquaintance about his Grandfather ( G. Hanbury) by telephone but he tells me that he got the information from his Grandfather's letters. However I am visiting Nottingham this week and I will go into the Foresters Museum in the Castle and look at the S/Foresters Database to see if he is on there.

Regards, Cliff.