The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

David Stevenson

zijde26

The Dutch news paper, NRC, of last friday 11-11-2011, cites the following book : " With our backs to the wall. Victory and defeat in 1918. " written by David Stevenson, dealing with the ending of ww1, Michaelis offensive, ...

Has anyone read this book? Is it worth bying?

Thanks,

Gilbert Deraedt

I have not read this particular book, but have read many of Stevenson's other works. They are well written and well researched in general, and I believe Stevenson is held in good regard by most historians, so I would imagine this work would be no different.

• 4 weeks later...

Just noticed your post and I did read the book and would suggest you borrow a copy from the library before buying it. It is very well written but seemed to me a bit disjointed. I can't claim to have enjoyed it

Hazel C.

The Dutch news paper, NRC, of last friday 11-11-2011, cites the following book : " With our backs to the wall. Victory and defeat in 1918. " written by David Stevenson, dealing with the ending of ww1, Michaelis offensive, ...

Has anyone read this book? Is it worth bying?

Thanks,

Gilbert Deraedt

• 2 years later...

Well I am a relatively new to land warfare aspects of the Great War but did recently read With Our Backs to the Wall and found it very informative both to a new reader regarding the land war and experienced one regarding the war at sea. The technology and intelligence sections were very interesting as well.