The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

No age on CWGC

Stephen White

Arthur Lambeth,305702,Royal Warwicks. Who i am researching,was killed on 27/04/1917.There is no age given by the CWGC for him.The SDGW list's additional information,that he was born and enlisted in Aston,Birmingham,but again no age.

If i ordered his death certificate,would his age be on that or am i wasting my time ??.

Stephen :unsure:

Edited by STEVEN

Stephen

We recently had this problem with my husband's uncle who was killed in action in WW2 and we looked for a death certificate on 1837online.com but failed to find one. We ended up looking through YEARS of dates of birth making an assessment of his age as a starting point and working forwards from the minimum entry age (bearing in mind that some lied about their ages and were as young as 15). We didi eventually come up trumps! However, in answer to your question, on a 1908 death certificate we have, the age is confirmed although no date of birth (but at least you can pin down the year of birth). Other fields on the death certificate are, when and where he died, occupation, cause of death, when registered and obviously name etc.

Hope this is of use to you.

Good luck in your endeavours.

Sue :)

Steven

Whilst I suspect you will follow the census suggestion posted by Bob, I have counted the death certificates (57) that I have to hand, all show age at time of death, but not all of them match their TRUE ages which other sources have revealed, including their birth certificates.

David.

Steven

I have recently received an overseas army death certificate for a soldier who died in 1915, K.I.A. Although this certificate is not as detailed as the ordinary civilian death certificates, no home address, it does show age at death and date of death.

As has been said earlier in this thread, I presume this age is based on whatever age the soldier gave at enlistment, it may not be correct.

But yes, the age is given.

Kate

Stephen:

I found this from the 1891 census-Hopefully it's the Arthur Lambeth you're researching-

can't seem to find him yet on the 1901-but he would have been 23 in 1901-

I'll do some further research!

gordon

Name Age in 1891 Birthplace Relationship to head-of-house Civil parish County

Lambeth, Alice 4 Birmingham Daughter Birmingham Warwickshire

Lambeth, Arthur 13 Birmingham Son Birmingham Warwickshire

Lambeth, Ellen 18 Birmingham Daughter Birmingham Warwickshire

Lambeth, Emma 7 Birmingham Daughter Birmingham Warwickshire

Lambeth, Louisa 12 Birmingham Daughter Birmingham Warwickshire

Lambeth, Thomas 43 Birmingham Head Birmingham Warwickshire

Lambeth, Alice 4 Birmingham Daughter Birmingham Warwickshire

Lambeth, Arthur 13 Birmingham Son Birmingham Warwickshire

Lambeth, Ellen 18 Birmingham Daughter Birmingham Warwickshire

Lambeth, Emma 7 Birmingham Daughter Birmingham Warwickshire

Lambeth, Louisa 12 Birmingham Daughter Birmingham Warwickshire

Lambeth, Thomas 43 Birmingham Head Birmingham Warwickshire

Gord97138

Thanks for that,you must have got to that about the same time as i did.The Arthur Lambeth you mention,died in 1926 at the age of 48,though.

This problem arose when the BWM & VM for the casulty i mentioned,were found at the house of the deceased daughter of the Arthur Lambeth,who died in 1926.I had always assumed the medals to be her dads.Obviously they couldn't as the casulty died in 1917,4 years before she was born.

It turns out that there is an Arthur Lambeth who was 7 in 1901,who appears to be the Nephew of the Arthur Lambeth you uncovered,so i think that might be my casulty.

Thank you to everyone who took the time to answer.It appears the age is going to be on the death certificate so i wil order it,to see if i am right.If not i'll be off on another search again !!.

Stephen :)

Stephen:

Glad I could help out-good luck on your research!

gordon