The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

2nd Welsh help needed

Annette Burgoyne

Hi all

I may have posted this some time ago but did not get a result so I am asking again in the hope that someone interested in the 2nd Welsh can help?

The problem I have is that Soldiers Died records four men of the 1st K.S.L.I. being killed on 26-7-16, it also records three men died of wounds on this day.

Now the 1st Batt Diary makes no mention of four men being killed on the 26th (the Battalion was relieved on the night of the 25-7-16 and went into billets in Ypres), but it goes to the trouble of recording at 8 p.m. on 23rd July that one man is wounded and again at 2 a.m. on 24th one man is wounded, so you would think that the diary would record the fact that four men were killed.

But other sources records that four of the seven men were attached to the 2nd Welsh Regt.

Here are the details I have bearing in mind that all are recorded in Soldiers Died as losing their lives on 26-7-16 with 1/K.S.L.I.:-

23852 Pte. Ashley—D of W name on Menin Gate (this man may well have been 1/K.S.L.I.)

15882 Pte. Barnett—K in A name on Menin Gate-Victory Medal Roll records that he only served in 7/K.S.L.I. and attached to 2nd Welsh Regt.

22841 Pte. Batin—D of W buried in Albert Communal Cemetery, Extension, Somme– C.W.G.C. records 1/K.S.L.I. attached to 2nd Welsh Regt.

24383 Pte. Dodd—K in A name on Menin Gate

19790 Pte. Edward—Victory Medal Roll makes no mention of a K.S.L.I. battalion only that he was attached to 2nd Welsh Regt.

17138 Pte. Hodgekiss—D of W buried in Albert Communal Cemetery, Extension, Somme– C.W.G.C. records 1/K.S.L.I. attached to 2nd Welsh Regt.

14454 Pte. Hough—K in A name on Menin Gate-Victory Medal Roll records that he only served in 7/K.S.L.I. and attached to 2nd Welsh Regt..

If there are any 2nd Welsh Regt. enthusiast out there, I would be grateful for any help

Thanks

Annette