The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Grenadier guards 'volunteers'.

steve fuller

Hello everyone

I may blunder along with this one, as Im not sure what to ask / include!

Cut a long story short; Im researching a relative with no service papers available. A 'family memory' has suggested an unexpected direction (the Grenadier Guards) and I would like guidance whether the more learned among you would explore this avenue if it was you, or spend the time elsewhere.

What I know (briefly); he was pre war TF, 1/5th Beds from Aug 1914, Gallipoli from 10/8/15, in Britain (no dates) wounded or ill, 1917 renumbering included him suggesting still assigned to 5th Beds then, KIA 7th Beds France 23/03/1918. No known grave.

Based on this, is there any possibility he could have spent time in the GG's, or 'tried out' for them maybe?

His MIC only makes reference to the Bedf Regmnt, no other units mentioned. Would it have been on the MIC if there was movement to and from the GG's?

And sorry to ask, but should anyone read this that could 'look up' the Guards for me, are there any Kendall's popping up at all?

Any thoughts would be welcome (again). Thank you.

Steve

Yes, Dave is quite correct. Duplicate service papers for WW1 guardsmen are held at their Birdcage Walk, London, barracks: better still they survived WW2 unscathed.

I believe you will have to contact the appropriate regimental adjutant to get copies. If you look around on the Web you should be able to find the postal address and/or email.

Richard

OK guys, will have a brief look and try to establish if he has records at least! Thank you

Steve