The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Searching for Patrick McCann

I am searching for information on Patrick Francis McCann. I am new at this, and unfortunately have very little to go on as all his records were destroyed by his "eccentric" wife upon his death in 1957 - including it seems his medals.

From a very brief handwritten draft of his obituary found in his deceased son's papers, he was born in 1890 in Ireland and was awarded the military medal during WW1. I found an entry in the London Gazette (12/7/1918) for:

1/5526 Patrick McCann, Royal Munster Fusiliers (Clonakilty)

but this was for the Belgium Croix de Guerre ... unless I am reading it wrong. Also on the medal index on-line there is an entry for:

RMF 5526 Private

RMF 5526 Colour Sargeant

There are so many Patrick McCanns out there a person can go quite cross-eyed, but I'm pretty sure this is him due to being the only medal listing in the Gazette I could find. Although I guess not a certainty. I have visted various sites that mention the RMF and found one that stated only two members of the RMF received the Belgium Croix de Guerre.

Also it seems due to his health he lef the RMF and joined a Flying Corp (Royal Flying Corps??). I have read at the PRO that soldiers who transferred to another service would have taken their records with them so I gather they may not have been stored at the archives destroyed in the WW11 bombing?? As stated I am new at this and live in Australia so would need to organise for a researcher to look up records, and I don't wish to waste funds if I send them to the wrong place. I seem to have painted myself into a corner.

I am enquiring if anyone has access to a unit history(?) and could tell me if there is anything that could point me in the right direction (a nice one). I know the RMF disbanded in 1922. The only other piece of information I have is that he served at Cape Helles. Would this automatically mean he was part of the 86th Brigade of the 26th Division and could have also served in Burma....

Any advice or information would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Hello Clancy,

Welcome to the Forum and apologies for not replying sooner - away on hols!

If your man was a Munster Fusilier and served at Cape Helles he was an extremely lucky man to have survived! The 1st Munster Fusiliers took part in the disastrous landing at V beach on Cape Helles on April 25th, 1915. They were almost entirely wiped out in the action. The 1st RMF were part of 29th Division at Gallipoli. I don't understand the reference to Burma.

My experience of the Gazette is that it is not 100% accurate - names get misspelt, etc. If your man got a Military Medal, I would have thought that would be relatively easy to track down - but hasten to add I am no expert; there are others here who know much more about these things!!

One option you have is to download the MIC from the PRO. With a bit of luck, this should give you an entry under "Theatre of War" - for Gallipoli this should be " 2b Balkans" and a date of arrival in that theatre.

Hope that helps,

Regards,

Liam.

Clancy

Found this link Here in the Gazette after a search on 5526 looks like a Mention in Dispatches for Sgt. P. McCann.

Hope it helps

Steve

I am enquiring if anyone has access to a unit history(?) and could tell me if there is anything that could point me in the right direction (a nice one). I know the RMF disbanded in 1922. The only other piece of information I have is that he served at Cape Helles. Would this automatically mean he was part of the 86th Brigade of the 26th Division and could have also served in Burma....

Regarding the Royal Munster Fusiliers; our pal Conor Dodd has most of the Irish regimental histories and has helped with look-ups before; why not drop him a personal message to ask for his help

As far as I know the 1st RMF were part of 86 Brigade, 29 Division and they had returned to the UK from India [which at that time must have included Burma] in late 1914

They served at Gallipoli, landing at V Beach, Cape Helles on 25th April 1915 and were there until 2nd January 1916 when they were evacuated to the island of Mudros

Sorry that I cannot be more help

Good luck with your research

Michael D.R.

Clancy - welcome aboard. Also worth mentioning that Museumtom is 'well-up' on Irish Regiments and soldiers. Wish I could be of help.

Cheers Des

Clancy,

I too have an interest in the Royal Munster Fusiliers. My two grand-uncles joined the 8th Batallion in 1915.

One was seconded from there to the RFC sometime between late 1916 and early 1917.

Both brothers died in late 1917, one in the trenches, the other in air crash.

I have a copy of the 'History of the Royal Munster Fusiliers 1861-1922' produced by Limerick Historical Publications. I goes through the history and actions of each batallion.

If McCann was at Cape Helles then he was in the 1st Batallion. This batallion was stationed in Burma at the outbreak of the war. It was not relieved of duty there until November 1914. On 21st November it embarked for England arriving on 10th January 1915. While there, it formed, with the 2nd Royal Fusiliers, 1st Lancashire Fusiliers and 1st Royal Dublin Fusiliers the famous 86th Brigade.

On April 25th 1915 the Batallion, on board the 'River Clyde' attempted to land at Gallipoli. They suffered huge losses.

I'll see if I can find out any more for you. Any idea from what county Patrick was from? You mention Clonakilty in county Cork, but that may be where he joined up.

I'll talk again soon,

Alan

Probably not your man but ..... look what I found.

MRS. McCann, Creagh, Toomebridge, has received a letter from her son, Private Patrick McCann, Royal Munster

Fusiliers saying that he has ben wounded in the recent retreat in Serbia

and is now in hospital.

I have left these other snippets in just in case they can help give you a 'roughish date' and of what was 'in the news' at the time. You'll see Gallipoli etec features prominently. I wonder if there is a Clonakilty townland near Toomebridge?

PRIVATE Samuel W. Maxwell, formerly of Killyless, of the New Zealand contingent, is at present on a visit to his

friends in Ireland, after being treated for wounds received at the Dardanelles (Gallipoli). Private Maxwell and his

parents emigrated to New Zealand some seven years ago and, at the outbreak of war, he volunteered his services and

accompanied the main body of the first NZ Contingent to Egypt where he finished his training.

His contingent was called to the Dardanelles at the opening of hostilities and he was wounded early in September

1915 by shrapnel in the back. He was taken to hospital in Cairo and was afterwards transferred to a London hospital

from where he came to Ireland on a short furlough. he is a nephew of Mr. Joseph Maxwell, Dagusville, Ballymena.

Trooper Robert Burnitt of the NI Horse, at present on active service, formerly assistant clerk to Mr. Charles

Johnson in the Ballymena Workhouse, acknowledges with thanks the receipt of a parcel of cigarettes received from

the employees of Messrs. John Wilson and Son, Harryville Factory, which were much appreciated by him and his

comrades.

PRIVATE Joseph Curry of the New Zealand Contingent, who has just recovered from an attack of enteric fever

which he developed at the Dardanelles is at present on leave with his mother and father, Mr. and Mrs. Wm. Curry of

Ballynacaird, Lisnamurrican Pte. Curry who is in his 25th year, emigrated to New Zealand in the year of 1912 where

he joined the Volunteer Force, and when war broke out he volunteered for active service on August 8th 1914.

After three months' training in New Zealand, the contingent embarked for Albany where they joined the Australian

Force. The training of the New Zealanders was completed in Egypt. Early in the New Year they were called up to

meet an attack made by the Turks, which they easily repulsed.

In this encounter they had their first casualties. The battalion in which he was a machine gunner, was amongst the first

to land at the Dardanelles on April 25th 1915. Curry had many narrow

escapes at the landing. He was in the trenches for three months when he took ill and was sent to hospital at Malta.

later he was transferred to a hospital in Birmingham and at present is on six week's leave.

Ballymena Observer January 14. 1916

Hi Clancy,

I have the original History of the Munster Fusiliers, the Two volume set, I will check out your man over the weekend as it is on loan to my father at the moment. will get back to you on Monday.

Regards

Ross