The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

"The Roses of No Man's Land"

hazelclark

This book took me a bit to get into, but is well worth reading for anyone interested in the "human" side of the war. It describes the lives of some of the nurses and VAD's who worked in the home and foreign hospitals and Casualty Clearing Houses, and some of the problems they had to deal with both medically and socially. While I knew about the outbreak of "Spanish flue",I hadn't realised that more people died from influenza than died of wounds, and that the military medical services at home and abroad were so devasted by the outbreak.

Hazel C.

Hazel,

I quite agree with you and in fact I think it Lynns best book, moved me and covered a side of the war not so well documented.

Thanks for bringing this book to the fore.

TT

It's in my bookcase - I think I need to get it out for another read.

Roger

This is my favorite of her books too. I became interested in WWI after reading "Testament of Youth" which really appealed to me on an emotional level ( I was about 21) and I read this book soon after. It fleshed out the stories of the VADs and nurses; I have re-read it a few times.

I read Vera Brittain's book "Testament of Youth" also some years ago. As you say, "Roses" is a bit more in depth but along the same lines.

Hazel C.

This is my favorite of her books too. I became interested in WWI after reading "Testament of Youth" which really appealed to me on an emotional level ( I was about 21) and I read this book soon after. It fleshed out the stories of the VADs and nurses; I have re-read it a few times.

• Admin

Definitely the best of her books, in fact the one that got me interested in the Great War. ( I should have been studying for exams but I found the book and that was it- 26 years and counting!)

Michelle

I have now read this several times, which must make it my favourite LMcD book.

I loved this book when I read some 20+ years ago, I think it's about time I read it again.

Annette

And could you think of a better title for the book?

Roger