The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

RASE, lookup please

ian harrison

Dear list,

Iam trying to establish the joining date of an Officer who was I believe attached to the RASE as a 2nd Luetenant.

I wonder if someone on the list could please establish his joining date for me and if possible what rank he was on joining, also, what this core is "RASE"?

The officers name was 2 Lt Sydney Albert Harrison

I am trying to identify this man as a potential canditate for an EX Australian Captain who was Court martialed from the Australian Army in Pernam Down UK in August 1917 and who could have assumed the above name when he joined the British Army to conceal his previous history.

many thanks

Ian Harrison, Torquay Aust

Ian,

the only hit for this name in the on-line London Gazette is

West Riding Divisional Train, No. 2 Company; Serjeant Sydney Albert Harrison, from the Yorkshire Mounted Brigade, Army Service Corps, to be Second Lieutenant.

Dated 25th February, 1915.

The Army Service Corps became the Royal Army Service Corps post-war = RASC. I've never heard of RASE.

You can see the original entry

here

Jock Bruce

Dear Jock,

thankyou very much, this will be the Sydney that I was checking and he won't be my great Uncle Albert E Harrison, his BArmy joining date doesn't correspond with my info (ie) leaving the Aus Army in 1917

many thanks again

Ian

Dear Jock,

I missed this in the previous Email, I made an error with the RASE it should be RASC as you indenify

Cheers

Ian

G'day Terry,

thanks for the correction you are quite right it is Perham Down as you suggest, this will teach me to write a message from memory

Thanks

Ian