The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

2 Lt G W Fosbery

Anthony Bagshaw

Hi Pals,

A while ago i posted a topic requesting information on 2/lt George William Fosbery 1/8th Notts and Derby Regt.

Since then i have managed to find out some really interesting info on him. Unfortunately i cannot find a photo of him anywhere although i have looked in the Newark Advertiser etc.

George William Fosbery was born in Collingham, Newark in 1881. He was the youngest son and 6th born of the Reverend George William Fosbery and Frances Simpson Fosbery. He had 9 Brothers and sisters:

Charles Sanderson Fosbery-1865-1958

Gerald Walcott Fosbery-Born June 1867

Francis George Fosbery- Born 1870

Godfrey Lyons Fosbery-Born 1874

Cyril Vincent Fosbery-Born 1878

Elizabeth Simpson Fosbery-1883-1972

Catherine Sanderson Fosbery

Mabel Fosbery

Susannah Kathleen Fosbery

Family address was The Rectory, Collingham, Newark, Nottinghamshire. He was the grandson of Commander Godfrey Fosbery, who served with the Royal Navy.

He enlisted as a Private in the 8th Battalion of the Sherwood Foresters in August 1914 and received his Commission on the 27th February 1915 just as the Battalion were leaving for the Western Front. He was now a Second Lieutenant and given command of a platoon in ā€™Cā€™ Company.

On May 19th 1915 it was at Kemmel where Second Lieutenant Fosbery was severely wounded. He was shot through the right lung, most probably by a sniper, whilst examining telephone wires. The Battalion war diary states that he was wounded at 3pm in the afternoon.

Second Lieutenant Fosbery had been in France for only 3 months.

His wound was reported in the Newark Advertiser dated Wednesday June 30th 1915.

Second Lieutenant Fosbery had to leave the Battalion and was discharged, relinquishing his Commission on the 2nd July 1916 due to ill health caused by wounds.

I am hoping to find more on him especially his grandfather who was a Commander in the Royal Navy.

Any more help or ideas where else i could find info very much appreciated

I have had the research i ordered arrive today.

It consists of around 50 pages and includes medical board interviews and loads of other great stuff.

I will post more later :D