The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Canadian Irishman!

carninyj

I'm trying to positively identify James Clarke, a killed Canadian soldier from Ballylummin, near Ballymena in Co Antrim, N Ireland. The only Co Antrim connection I can find is 114948, but he doesn't appear to have died. Can any of the Canadians shed some light on this? I know you like a puzzle.

Regards

carninyj

What date did your man perish on? Did he have any other fore names?

I'm afraid I can give no more details of James Clarke at this time. All I have on him is a name on the memorial tablet of Ist Ahoghill Presbyterian Church and an entry in the Presbyterian Congregational Roll of Honour, kept in Presbyterian HQ in Belfast, that says James Clarke (no other names listed) was a Canadian Private from Ballylummin, a townland just outside the village. It says he was KIA.

Also listed on the same tablet and mentioned in the Presbyterian CRH is Private John Craig, again said to be a Canadian KIA. He was from Killybeg(s), Ahoghill.

Help with either would be appreciated.

carninyj

Carninyj, there is a Thomas James Clarke who served with the Fort Garry Horse, and died October 9, 1918. He was from Ballynaris Hill, Dromore, Co. Down, Ireland. Here's the CWGC link. Unfortunately his attestation papers aren't on-line yet.

Is this your man?

carninyj , you aren't giving us a lot to go on here

I found a George O'Mally (73501) from Killybegs, but that probably isn't whom you are looking for.

There is a Thomas Jame Clarke (552843) from Ballynaris Hill, Dromore, Co. Down

My Irish geography is pretty limited, so I don't know if the second is remotely close.

marc

I looked up James Clarke and James Clark, but couldn't find one from County Antrim. Is Belfast in Antrim (pardon my geographic ignorance)?

Co. Antrim envelops Belfast to the north - but now you've got me thinking .. is the city PART of the county?

Des

Thanks to all who responded. I appreciate that I haven't given you much, but it's all I've got! I'm trying to put together a database on MS Access of 'Ballymena men' who died. I've got most of the easy ones, about 650 dead so far.

Co Down isn't relevant unless it can be shown that a Co Antrim family had moved there. I would not normally count Belfast for research purposes as Co Antrim (though I think it is). A local man would say he was from Belfast if he was from the city; others outside Belfast would just say Co. Antrim, if they weren't more specific.

The only other snippet I have gleaned on James Clarke is that there was another William Clarke on the same church tablet. They might have been brothers? cousins? William Clarke was also a soldier in the Canadians.

The John Craig entry is also problematic. The Attestation papers that I've looked up throw up two possibilities:

237361 John Craig, Fernisky, Kells (about 5 miles south of Ballymena), Co. Antrim

2595825 John Craig, born Co. Antrim, Ireland & living Chicago, USA.

Did either die? Are there others that I have missed?

Hope that helps.

regards

carninyj