The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

war is war by ex Private x

andrew pugh

Good Evening. All Merry Christmas.

Has anybody read a book called War is War by Ex Private X? Great book for an insite to a soldiers way of life.I would recomend it, any of you folks read it? Also I hope my wife has brought me the new book by Andy Robertshaw and Steve Roberts,One again Merry Christmas.

Regards Andy.

Written by Alfred McLelland Burrage 1889 - 1956; served Artists Rifles (28th Bn, London Regiment) - lots of data here:

http://www.firstworldwar.com/diaries/burrage_intro.htm

Cheers

Simon

Andy,

I've just started it for the second time. Underrated book in my 'umble opinion and one I would recommend,

Stuart

A timely thread as I just bought this book last week. I'm only about a third of the way through, but I'm really enjoying it. Burrage's writing style is quite modern in my opinion. Cyril Falls wrote that the author's account of Passchendaele and Cambrai were very good but "the rest is disfigured by an unreasoned and unpleasant vituperation of superiors and all troops other than those at the front line, which is all the more astonishing because the author is inclined to harp upon his social position as compared with that of many of the officers with who he came in contact."

This is one of my long-time favourites, but it has to be said that A. M. Burrage was a terrible snob. He was a teenage hero of mine because of "War is War", and also the first hero that I decided I wouldn't have liked if I had met him!

Tom