The quick and the dead - Richard Van Emden

Lack of offensive spirit - Alan McDonald

VC's of the Somme

VC's of Cambrai

Liverpool VC's

Noel Chavasse Double VC

The Germans at Cambrai - Jack Sheldon

Amongst others..

Got a few non WW1 Military books aswell.

Neil

For Christmas I was lucky enough to receive both Into the Silence by Wade Davies which I started last night and it is quite simply, magnificent.

I also got the N&M press reprint of the history of the Loyal North lancashire Regiment 1914-1919 by Colonel H.C Wylly

needless to say I'm happy with my lot. smile.gif

Today in Morrisons I have bought "The Faces of World War 1", by Max Arthur, foreword by Ian Hislop.

Publishers price - £25.

Sticker on book - £8

Price at checkout - £5

That must be a bargain even if it is rubbish!

Martin

This one was a surprise gift from my wife for Christmas:

Anzacs on the Western Front, The Australian War Memorial Battlefield Guide

We did a tour of the Western Front last June, and this book will help to revive the memories of the tour.

I've found the best way to use the book is to read the strategic overview in each chapter. Then when I read the actual battlefield descriptions and the tactical movements and battles along with the maps, I do it in front of the PC.

I have Google Maps open, and it enables me to switch between the overhead Google Earth type view and Street view. It really adds a lot to understanding the maps and descriptions.

Definetely a book I can recommend from what I've read so far.

I received a late-christmas gift in the mail today: Karl Unruh: Langemark - Legende und Wirklichkeit. It's an old edition, the friend added a note saying he found it at a local "clean-you-attic-market" (or however you call that: Trödelmarkt, in German) . Can't wait to read it !!

The rest of my Christmas gifts, I bought for myself: "Six Weeks", by John Lewis-Stempel ; "Tommy's Ark" by Richard Van Emden and "Some desperate glory" by Edwin campion Vaughn. And - nothing to do with WWI - "The Law of Armed Conflict: International Humanitarian Law in War " by Gary Solis. Met this great professor of Law from West Point at the institute of International Law in San Remo a few years ago and his take on IHL is just fascinating!

Fortunately, when last july my mum asked me what I wanted for my birthday, I told her "Book shelves" :D . So I went to Ikea at her exepense and bought myself three huge libraries ... and a cute penguin poster ... to (finally, a year after moving :whistle: ) install my office.

Enjoy your gifts, everybody!!

Marilyne.

PS: This is Gadget, The Hamster speaking ... the so-called office is MY room !! :P

Dear Gadget,

Just look upon all those books as a form or insulation. They help to keep your room nice and warm.

As for books for presents, I received an eclectic mixture, partly at least reflecting the fact that No.1 daughter now lives in Stockholm

Battles for Scandinavia - John Elting (WW2)

Sweden and WW2 - SB Jeffrey (WW2, and compiled from Wikipedia!)

Sea Dog Bamse - A Whitson and A Orr (WW2)

The Hurricane Port-A social history of Liverpool - A Lees

First Light - G Wellum (WW2)

Operation Mincemeat - B. Macintyre (WW2)

The Confusion of Command - D Snow

The Zeebrugge Raid - P Kendall

Letters from the trenches - W. Lamin

Tapestry of War - Sandra Gwyn

Forgotten Voices of the Victoria Cross - R Bailey

oh....and.....Pepe, my autobiography.....Got to get LFC in there somewhere!

I think that should keep me in reading until about May.

I also got a kindle....now i just have to figure how to use it.

Bruce

Presents to myself Into the Silence -- The Great War, Mallory and the Conquest of Everest Wade Davis and The Quick and the Dead, Richard Van Emden.

I did have some Amazon vouchers from family who can't keep track of books I want, don't have and need these days

I used the vouchers towards an Ainol Novo 7 Advanced Tablet. (using the forum link of course)

I was persuaded to buy one of these by a friend of mine and it hasn't arrived yet

(Wondering how the heck I'm going to cope using it but luckily there appears to be a forum similar to this one. If anyone has one please PM me and let me know )

The volume on Mallory sounds fascinating - I hopw you will manage a review for the forum.

I wish someone would write something about polar (especially antartic) explorers and their experiences in WW1 - I think of people like Frank Debenham who went out with Scott as well as those who survived with Shackleton.

The volume on Mallory sounds fascinating - I hopw you will manage a review for the forum.

I wish someone would write something about polar (especially antartic) explorers and their experiences in WW1 - I think of people like Frank Debenham who went out with Scott as well as those who survived with Shackleton.

review here on the Mallory book and another on Antarctic exploration which seems to refer to WWI as well. I got the first for Xmas but haven't read it yet and saw the second in the library the other day but was encumbered so didn't get it out

cheers Martin B

Christmas is over, but ... could one have New Year's gifts ???

I went to the French Army Museum in Paris this WE, before starting on the Rallye Tour Eiffel, a 15 km night march through Paris. They have some new rooms on WWI and II. Not bad, but very general.

Of course, I just happened to pass through the bookstore and got some more isolation material for my very demanding hamster :hypocrite:

Problem was, I had to carry :

• Miranda Carter: The Three Emperors
  • Horne & Kramer: German Atrocities 1914: a history of denial (French version)
  • Raymond Dorgeles: Les Croix de Bois
  • ... and a guide on the battlefields in France

... in my backpack for the rest of the day ... talk about a training march !!

Marilyne

I am sure gadget is grateful for more room insulation!

Bruce

You will enjoy "Operation Mincemeat" His other book about the 2nd W.W. called I think, "The Englishman's Daughter" was quite interesting also.

Hazel C.

Dear Gadget,

Just look upon all those books as a form or insulation. They help to keep your room nice and warm.

As for books for presents, I received an eclectic mixture, partly at least reflecting the fact that No.1 daughter now lives in Stockholm

Battles for Scandinavia - John Elting (WW2)

Sweden and WW2 - SB Jeffrey (WW2, and compiled from Wikipedia!)

Sea Dog Bamse - A Whitson and A Orr (WW2)

The Hurricane Port-A social history of Liverpool - A Lees

First Light - G Wellum (WW2)

Operation Mincemeat - B. Macintyre (WW2)

The Confusion of Command - D Snow

The Zeebrugge Raid - P Kendall

Letters from the trenches - W. Lamin

Tapestry of War - Sandra Gwyn

Forgotten Voices of the Victoria Cross - R Bailey

oh....and.....Pepe, my autobiography.....Got to get LFC in there somewhere!

I think that should keep me in reading until about May.

I also got a kindle....now i just have to figure how to use it.

Bruce

My books consisted of

The Quick and the Dead, by Richard van Emden

Tommies Tunes (original edition :D )

from Geordie Land to No Mans Land, by George Russell Elder

Good luck with all that reading Roger, we'll see you in 2020 then :lol::lol:

Kim, what is "from Geordie Land to No Mans Land" like, and what regiment was does it concern ?

Mick

I have to be honest Mick, I'm struggling with it.

From the 'blurb' on the flyleaf:

"These are the First World War memories of George Russell Elder written on several notebooks after the war. George began working for W H SMith in 1907, who continued paying his wife 15 shillings a week whilst he was on active service. He continued his career with them for over 50 years retiring in 1957. On enlistment in 1915 George trained as a Signaller and Telephonist and and was promoted to Bombardier to take charge of the 1st Battery Signallers 315th Brigade Royal Field Artillery."

So far so good. But then we get in to the book itself, which was pieced together by his family. I find the writing too simplistic. Whether it's because I expect the standard of professional writers, and in this case that's clearly not so, I don't know - perhaps I'm just not reading it right (when I read I hear it in my head, and this one doesn't sound right to me - sorry if I'm being confusing). Anyway, I've read a couple of chapters but have put it down for now to read 'The Quick and The Dead' (absolutely brilliant, I had only read a couple of pages whilst waiting for my daughter at piano and had to put it down, I must have inwardly sobbed three times on the first page - such a wuss!) Still only on the first chapter of Richard's book, but there's a definite difference.

Going back to Geordie Land, I shall read it to the end as I don't like to cast things aside so easily. I hope to come back in a while and give a better verdict.

Thanks for the reply Kim, I've ordered it just for the regional connection. I've also got the 'The quick and the dead' on the go as well, having had a fantastic taster for it following a talk by the author at the DLI museum a short while ago.

Mick

Received Memories of the Maelstrom the other day, and learned that despite my on-line book-buying prowess I ended up buying this book from one of those Thrift Books subsidiaries... Condition not quite correctly described, pages marked, shipped loose in a plastic mailer with no padding.

Received a book called the Fighting Nineteenth (history of the 19th Inf Btln AIF). Going to be a while before I get around to reading it, as I'm in the

middle of reading Gallipoli to Tripoli (by forum member Browning and Gill) and have another called Crumps and Camouflets to get through as well.

Received a book called the Fighting Nineteenth (history of the 19th Inf Btln AIF). Going to be a while before I get around to reading it, as I'm in the

middle of reading Gallipoli to Tripoli (by forum member Browning and Gill) and have another called Crumps and Camouflets to get through as well.

Crumps and camouflets is excellent - well researched and very informative.

I'm still tidying the library given to me and have come across another surprise, a 3 volume set of 'History of the American Field Service in France' 1920.

This is the 2nd set I've had through my book cases.

Since Christmas Day I've had a windfall of reading material.

Some of it was about Dieppe 1942. 70th anniversary of that Raid this August 19th. But that was a different war.

The Great War stuff included;

John Gooch: The plans of war

George Cassar: Asquith as war leader

Trevor Wilson: The myriad faces of war

Ian Beckett: The Great War 1914 - 1918

Elizabeth Greenhalgh: Victory through coalition

David Stevenson: The First World War and international politics

Cecil & Liddle: Armageddon: the First World War experience

Michael Howard: The continental commitment

Robert Cowley: The Great War: Perspectives on the First World War

George Cassar: The tragedy of Sir John French

Liddle & Cecil: At the eleventh hour