The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

RFA Trench Mortars 29th Division

Guest Arrasdan

Guest Arrasdan

Hope you can help. I'm trying to find out the role of 29th Division 'Z' battery Trench Mortar during the Battle Of Arras. My great grandfather served in this battery and was killed on April 16th 1917, but I can't find out where he was in action when he died. Any help on which regiment / battalion that his battery would have been attached to and any other trench mortar info would be a massive help

thanks

Dan

http://www.1914-1918.net/29div.htm

Basic info can be found on the above although you will probably have to access the battery war diary at the PRO to get a good idea of what they were up to more specifically. It is worth doing a search of the war diary because casualties are often listed by name and the circumstances in which they died are also often mentioned.

cheers

Andy

I have a history of the 29th Divisional Artillery. What is your grandfather's name, rank and service number (or what ever you have)? Regards. Dick Flory

Guest Arrasdan

Thanks for your help guys!

My Great Grandfather details are as follows-

Bombardier Wallace King

Service No.103263

Died April 16th 1917 buried at Faubourg D'Amiens Cemetery, Arras

thanks

Dan

The 29th Divisional Artillery War Record and Honours Book, 1915-1918 gives the following information concerning he period "April 15th to 22nd, 1917:"

"During this period preparations were made for the attack on the 'Red Line' (Bois du Vert and Bois du Sart). Hostile shelling was very severe and there was much loss in personnel and equipment. It was not unusual for 2 or 3 guns of a brigade to be knocked out in the course of 24 hours, whilst on the 17th April the 17th Brigade had one howitzer and six 18-pdrs put out of action, four of which belonged to the 26th Battery; this battery also had its telephone pit destroyed. . .

. . . The Trench Mortar Batteries were mostly employed at this time in preparing captured guns for firing on the enemy or in removing them to the rear. After April 9th, all officers except Capt. Craib (actg. D.T.M.O.) and 2nd Lieut. Mulholland (Z/29 T.M.B.) were attached to gun batteries to replace casualties and in the latter half of the month all other ranks were similarly treated. V/29 T.M.B. parked its heavy T. M.s at Arras on the 9th April."

Regards. Dick Flory