The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Where was Monsoon Trench, Ginchy?

gngm

5th ADBD = 5th Australian Division Base Depot

Peter

Thanks, Peter. My understanding of a depot is a centre for storage and distribution of supplies and gear, but I'm wondering if the Division Base Depots were more than that (just as a "field ambulance" was not a vehicle but a whole installation for stabilising and evacuating the wounded).

This suggests to me, since 'Dardier' had only reached Bepaume the day before (I'm assuming that's where 5th ADBD was) he never made it further than that before being hospitalised again, for another week. Does that sound likely?

Thanks.

Alastair

Sorry, can't comment on any individual, but 58Bt and most of 5th Div units were well behing Bapaume, at Mametz/Becourt, late April into early May, then after 10 days or so up to Bullecourt.

Peter

Graham, I haven't tired to match exactly, but looking for some other photos on AWM I saw that photo AO2488, and onother classed as Gueudecourt, is an aeriel shot of the area around Sunray and Stormy trenches. May or may not show the area you are looking at.

Peter

Thanks Peter. Where can I find these photos? Are they on-line?

Graham

I will be walking the area in February and will post photographs in this thread if I take any reasonable ones.

I would very much appreciate that. Thank you very much.

Graham

• 3 weeks later...

Egbert,

Thanks for posting these photographs. Which trench is which? None are marked in red.

Ken

[edit] Having looked at the trench maps and Google earth, the first aerial photograph posted is of the German trenches known as FIRE TRENCH and ATOM TRENCH. ATOM TRENCH is the lower one on the photograph and was the front line trench at the beginning of January, 1917.

The larger photograph shows the same trenches, with the addition of SUNRAY TRENCH below them. MONSOON TRENCH was the next trench south of SUNRAY.[/edit]

You are right Ken, I correct myself and have deleted the images . Monsoon is part of Eiserner Riegel or R1 Stellung (10/1916); one trench further south -will look for an aerial in my archive today