The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

2nd Worcesters-embarkation date Aug 1914

Duncan

Hi,

Can anyone help me with a query? I have been researching the medals (1914 Star trio) to a man of the 2nd Worcesters. His Medal Index Card states that he did not get an Aug-Nov bar, so would not have been at Gheluvelt. It states though that he landed in France on the 12th August 1914, a few days before the 2nd Battalion landed, according to the books. Also, the regimental museum says that he is not on the embarkation roll for the 2nd Battalion. Did the 2nd Worcesters send an advanced party to France before the main body, could he have been part of this? Thank you.

Duncan.

Duncan,

I have a trio to the unit and the MIC lists 12 Aug. as the arrival date in France. I have also seen a couple of other MIC's with 14 Aug. listed.

My fellow did earn the clasp, and very likely your man did as well. He simply may not have applied for it, as thousands of others didn't.

Absolutely correct. A large proportion of those entitled to the clasp never received it, nor did their next of kin. The biggest group for whom you could be reasonably sure of issue were those still serving at time of the Army Order introducing the clasp: it was the duty of their unit to supervise the list of submissions. Unfortunately, many men had scarpered back to civvy street, because it was 1919!