The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Queen Victoria's Rifles and the 2nd Bn The Royal Sussex Regt.

Jim Hastings

Good eveing all,

This maybe a shot in the dark, but I am always amazed what knowledge there is out there in the Forum so just a chance. I'm interested in the QVR and 2nd RSussex and am awaiting the Keeson history of the QVR and Peter Hart quotes many QVR men in 'The Somme', however does any member know of any other books that deal heavily with these units at all? I know there is a diary long out of print by a Sidney Appleyard of the QVR ('Trench life in the front line 1915-17'), but just wondered if anyone had come across anything else?

Many thanks

Jim

One memoir/diary that springs to mind is "From Ypres to Cambrai " by Frank Hawkings published by The Elmfield Press in 1973.Mr Hawkings joined The Queen Victoria's in 1914 and gives a good account of 2nd Ypres.

Your welcome Jim,it's been a few years since i last read it but i do remember it was a good book.Hope you enjoy reading it too.

Best Wishes.

John.

Just have to add John that I received it yesterday and quickly became engrossed in it - certainly an excellent suggestion, so thank you

Well worth obtaining by any members interested in the QVRs (1914-6) or RND (1918)

Thanks again

Jim

Cheers Jim,glad you are enjoying the book and pleased i could be of help to you.I will have to re-read it sometime,although being a collector of Great War memoirs i've got quite a few books to get through first!

All the best.

John.