The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Forum POW Index

Michael

Pals I need your help

The database is nearing completion but I need to rationalise the way that the regiments are represented. For instance, I have 17 different ways on the spreadsheet of representing The Queen's (Royal West Surrey Regiment) :blink: .

Which convention shall I use ? I need to have a decision by Friday evening please.

Mick

Mick

Suggest that the convention should be as Chris describes the various regiments on the mother site.

Glad to hear it's almost there.

John

Mick

Suggest that the convention should be as Chris describes the various regiments on the mother site.

Glad to hear it's almost there.

John

Seems a good idea to me.

If you mean as Chris writes on this page that seems very sensible as they generally seem to be the commonly known names, rather than the full formal title.

Depending on how the search tool will work, i think it would be worth making sure that some other commonly used names/acronyms are in the database as well e.g.

Green Howards

London Rifle Brigade - not everyone will know this is 5th Londons

London Scottish

KOYLI

presumably the search tool will look for a text string within the field(s), like the MICs online appears to do, so hopefully could cope with this.

I'd suggest keeping one field with the 'as written' entry as well as a field with the standardised name

Mick - suggest you share anything particularly problematic here.

charles

[if you mean as Chris writes on this page that seems very sensible as they generally seem to be the commonly known names, rather than the full formal title.

Yep. That's what I meant.

John

The list on the main site is a good idea, as is your idea Charles, to keep the raw data in a separate column.

I'm not sure I'm going to be able to list all the variables for each unit, so I'll go with one description for now. This is something that could be introduced later on.

Another question for you Charles, when we are dealing eg the 5th Londons shall I put London as the Regt and 5 as the Bn ?

Mick

What about Brigadier EA James as the reference?

British Regiments: 1914 - 18, EA James, Naval & Military Press