The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

"Member, WRAF", Abney Park Cemetery

Moonraker

As I've just mentioned in another thread, yesterday I visited Abney Park Cemetery in Stoke Newington, North London and inspected the Screen Wall memorial naming those service men and women whose graves could not be marked by individual headstones.

One name was that of Member D N(more likely M) Hudson, 12370, WRAF,died February 2, 1919.

I wondered about the title "Member" - or does it just mean that she was a member of the WRAF? Didn't WRAF members then have military ranks.

I checked her out on CGWC and noticed that there's another Member WRAF listed.

Moonraker

Edited by Moonraker

It would appear not

I picked a random selection from the 96 casualties using Geoff's Search Engine and the vast majority are Member. The few variations were Clerk, Driver,Stores and Member (Waitress), which I take to be occupational, rather than rank.

Phil

I can't explain 'Member' but I can tell you that the grave position cannot be identified which is why she is on the screen wall.

This burial is one of several listed as being in section 007 of the cemetery. I can't say for sure if this is an interral in a common grave but there are several WW1 casualties listed as being buried in common graves in 007. The graves are not marked on the cemetery maps and evidence of common graves in the area has never been found.

So, a mystery.

Incidentally, Abney Park has an excellent on-line searchable index to the burial registers which was produced way back in 2000, or earlier.

see here

Under Hudson's name on the screen is inscribed "RN 21596", which I took to be her grave location, but thanks to CGM's link I see that in fact it's a burial reference number. She's listed on a plaque that appears to have several late additions to the main list, plus some of WWII.

I'd noted her initials as "D N", but CWGC has her as "Daisy M"; it's quite likely that I misread the second initial as the inscriptions are a little difficult to read.

Moonraker

Member is commonly given as a rank for VAD and WAAC, the rank for VAD could be 'Ordinary', member, 'Full' member or 'Nursing' member.

Member does seem to have been a recognised WRAF rank: My Grandmother's WRAF Discharge Form 3677 in 1919 gives her 'Rank' as 'Member'.

Her 'Division' which could either be 'mobile' or 'immobile' is given as 'Immobile' and her 'Trade' as 'Shorthand Typist';('Her Grounds of Discharge' were given as 'Unfitness for service' - she was pregnant with my aunt, but for some reason they didn't say that on the form even though she was respectably married!)

NigelS

I can't explain 'Member' but I can tell you that the grave position cannot be identified which is why she is on the screen wall.

This burial is one of several listed as being in section 007 of the cemetery. I can't say for sure if this is an interral in a common grave but there are several WW1 casualties listed as being buried in common graves in 007. The graves are not marked on the cemetery maps and evidence of common graves in the area has never been found.

So, a mystery.

Cemetery records show Daisy as being buried 5th March 1919, burial no.131857, plot O07/7S01. However the cemetery authorities no longer hold a map showing where this plot (and many others) are situated so it seems that Daisy’s grave is now lost. And, yes, she is D.N. Hudson on the screen wall in error.

Thanks for the input. Those of us who have visited the cemetery will know that it's a real jumble and it must be difficult to locate any grave. Some tombs seem to be breaking open and near the main entrance I noted one that had lifted off the ground. There's a ruined chapel in the middle. Not the sort of place where I would want to spend the night.

Being from the sticks (well, the Home Counties), I did wonder how safe the place was in the daytime.It is Hackney, after all ... (Hope this doesn't upset any local residents among our members.) A couple of hundred yards away in a busy street there are signs up warning against the public use of mobile phones. But I've seen women walking their dogs there and my friend - an attractive blonde - says she sometimes sits there in the summer.

Moonraker