The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

8th Somerset's & 5th Dorset's

sajackr

Hi,

Can anyone recommend any books that deal (or at least mention) the 8th Somerset's/5th Dorset's– Other than Cheerful Sacrifice (which is a cracking read)? I have read many books including Peter Hart's The Somme and Martin Middlebrook's First day on the Somme. Although I enjoyed them both, I can not recall them even getting a mention. It appears unless you are interested in the Pals Bn's, Scottish, Irish, Australian or Canadian you're out of luck.

I'm sure I read somewhere the West Country Regiments did participate at sometime between 1914 – 18?

Thanks in advance

Sajackr

Hi,

Can anyone recommend any books that deal (or at least mention) the 8th Somerset's/5th Dorset's– Other than Cheerful Sacrifice (which is a cracking read)? I have read many books including Peter Hart's The Somme and Martin Middlebrook's First day on the Somme. Although I enjoyed them both, I can not recall them even getting a mention. It appears unless you are interested in the Pals Bn's, Scottish, Irish, Australian or Canadian you're out of luck.

I'm sure I read somewhere the West Country Regiments did participate at sometime between 1914 – 18?

Thanks in advance

Sajackr

Highly recommend "The Somerset Light Infantry 1914-19" The History by Everard Wyrall pub 1927. This is available in reprint form from Naval and Military Press and is a lucid, well written 'History' much brighter than some I have read. Well illustrated with some excellent maps (the first thing I look for) and at 419pp is the epitome of 'toilet' books - great for dipping in and out of on those more reflective moments. I think my copy was about £25.00 inc P&P but I believe N&M have a sale on at present so you may pick up a copy for less.

isbn 9781843422167

Suddery

Hi,

Thanks in advance

Sajackr

Hi Weston, I know exactly what you mean about the shortage of books featuring "our Regiments". I have one or two books covering the Somerset Light Infantry.

I am not at home at the moment, when I return I will sort out the full titles etc and post you again.

By the way, what was the final verdict on the fate of the Tropicana last week.

Regards, Keith.

I'm glad to see that others have an interest in the Somerset Light Infantry. My Dad's family is from Somerset and I am hoping to find out if I have any family serve with the Somerset's (or any other regiments as well). I don't know all that much about the Great War, and even less about the Somerset's involvement in the War, but hoping to change that as time goes on.

Thank You

Mark

Mark, Suddery, thank you for the recommendations, Birthday this month so guess what I'll be getting?

Keith, I would be grateful if you would have a look on your return home. Tropicana to be demolished, exactly what they wanted to do 11years ago. No doubt another car park to rake the coffers in.

Mark, stick with the forum. There are many knowledgeable members who are willing to assist; you'll be very surprised of what you can learn from them.

Thanks

Sajackr

Sajackr

Is your interest in the 5th Battalion of the Dorset's in relation to your boss.

If so I will bring my research in on Monday.

Malcolm

Hi

History of Dorsetshire Regt 1914-1918 Vol 3 Service Battalions. 5th & 6th Battalions with Roll of Honour. Can't say if it's been reprinted by NMP

Regards

Martin

Hello

I have a book entitled "The Somme, The Day-By-Day Account" by Chris McCarthy. This book mentions the 8th Somersets, but I don't know how much in depth it mentions them as I have not read it yet. Hope this helps out a bit.

Thank You

Mark