The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

OH CD-ROM, or OH error

Skipman

Is this an Official History, or N & MP disc, transcription error?

On page iv (8 of 570 on CD-ROM) Preface of The Official History 1917 Vol 2 " ...ground was so hard as late as the morning of the 4th October that pieces of shell and bullets ricochetted. "

On page 303 (347 of 570 on CD-ROM) Chapter-SECOND ARMY.3RD/4TH SEPTEMBER 1917 " The Third Step " Shells ricochetted too, showing the ground was hard in places. "

The chapter heading at top of page, does say SEPTEMBER (ON CD-ROM) but am pretty sure it's meant to be OCTOBER, (it goes on to mention 4TH October in the text. )

Is this a N & MP transcription error?

Does this error occur in the Original hardback volume?

I'm just concerned that where there is one error (on disc) there may be more.

Mike

Hi Mike

I don't have the original printing, but I do have the IWM/Battery Press hardback and it reads exactly as on the CD Rom. So I suspect that it is an original typesetting error, faithfully reproduced. The same kind of thing is evident in SDGW where the CD is faithful to the first printed edition, even if subsequent errors are known.

Keith

Hi Mike. I do not think that September is an error. The author is commenting on the fact that the whole of IIIYpres was not fought in a swamp and that in fact, the ground in Septemberr was baked hard.

Tom

In the contents list Chapter XVI is headed battle of Broodseinde (4th October)

p303 is headed SECOND ARMY. 3rd/4th September

The Third Step

The Second Army

Text commences: At dusk on the 3rd. the assaulting brigades began the march up to the line..........................

para 2 includes "the going was not too bad on the 4th,"

para 3 A full moon was hidden by clouds when, by 4 a.m. on this 4th October, the first of the admittedly "black days! of the German army............

I really don't see how the heading can be anything but a typographic error

Keith

Tom

In the contents list Chapter XVI is headed battle of Broodseinde (4th October)

p303 is headed SECOND ARMY. 3rd/4th September

The Third Step

The Second Army

Text commences: At dusk on the 3rd. the assaulting brigades began the march up to the line..........................

para 2 includes "the going was not too bad on the 4th,"

para 3 A full moon was hidden by clouds when, by 4 a.m. on this 4th October, the first of the admittedly "black days! of the German army............

I really don't see how the heading can be anything but a typographic error

Keith

Hi Keith. You and I have the same book. I was referring to page iv Vol 2. I did not look at the second quote. I agree with you. I notice that the previous page has 30th September and the following page heading correctly states October.

It was as I was typing some of the text, I noticed something wasn't quite right. Could be confusing if one didn't notice it. I wonder if there are any other errors?

Cheers Mike

I know there is one other and it is in the 1915 volumes but I don't remember where or what. I spotted it some time ago. I should think that any work which has been issued in several editions is almost bound to have mis prints and other errors. If errors can exist in The Holy Scriptures, what chance does a history of the war have?

If errors can exist in The Holy Scriptures, what chance does a history of the war have?

:D

Fair enough Tom. I have no problem with errors, why, I have even been known to make the odd one myself. If you ever remember the other one, let us know.

Cheers Mike

It is in or around the Battle of Loos and fairly obvious. I spotted it when I was just starting to read about the war. I was finding out what happened to my granda. A lot of books have passed over the reading table since then.