The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Help with Photo I.D

Guest fbdownes

Guest fbdownes

Hi my gt uncle Rifleman Alfred White was killed in action according to the family in 1916 and have attached photo of him with comades in which it appears to be taken in desert conditions.

The problem is that the only Alfred White I can find who lived in the St Pancras area where he lived, on the War Graves is Alfred white 345187 6th Batt London Reg (City of London Rifles) KIA 28th Aug 1918.

The 6th Batt according to records only served in France so have I got the wrong man or could the photo have been taken in France. I know he joined up with my G/father in 1915 who I know was in the 11th Batt Royal Fusiliers and I understand they were both in the print works so a London Regt would be in order.

Any help would be much appreciated. fbdownes

Don't know if this is of any help but Soldiers Died CD gives,

Rifleman Alfred Thomas John White - S/16394.

16th Battalion Rifle Brigade.

KIA September 3rd 1916.

Born=Sheffield.

Enlisted=London.

Lived=Streatham.

Bob.

fbdownes

According to SDGW, Rifleman Alfred White - 345187 was formerly 596223 18th London Regt.

Born: St Pancras

Enlisted: London

Resident: St Pancras

Died of Wounds

Given the Soldiers Died entry above, it could be that he was in the 2/18th London Regiment (2nd London Irish Rifles). They were part of the 60th (London) Division and were in Salonika and Palestine (via France in 1916) until disbanded in 1918; personnel then went to other battalions of the London Regiment or were transferred to units in the 10th (Irish) Division.

They wore a green triangle on their sun helmets in the desert; it may just be visible on the original of this?

You might find the London part of my website of use:

http://battlefields1418.50megs.com/londons.htm

Any idea what the round things are that they have in their hands? Phil B

The front one looks like a Coconut {outer husk} the rear one could be similar or a Melon?

Any idea what the round things are that they have in their hands? Phil B

I think one of the object is a skull ? I have a photo of 2/K.S.L.I. men, who were in Salonika, holding skulls from tombs, I may be wrong ?

Annette

Guest fbdownes

Many many thanks to all, that explains one point about being in the desert. I have blown up that bit of the photo( a not to good one) and the objects are almost certainly melons. Although the chap in the front has a leer on his face which makes me think the photo was taken in a comical mode with suggestive overtones.

(I put that nicely). Anyway gives me more to go at. So thanks again fbdownes

The 16th Bn Rifle Brigade was formed at St. Pancras in April 1915 but only served in France and Flanders.

Do you have any other photo's of him? Your reference to him as 'Rifleman' indicates the Rifle Brigade as men attached to other regiment were usually referferred to as 'Private'. Was this information passed down by the family?

Regards

Tim D