The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

1st Garrison Battalion Cheshire Regiment - Gibraltar

shep1701

My Great-Grandfather spent the Great War in Gibraltar. He was a Private in the 1st Garrison Bn Cheshire Regt from July 1915 until 1919 when he was demobilised. Reading 'between the lines' of his service record, life there at this time must have been 'easy' compared to the rest of Europe.

However, I cannot find any information on what life would have been like for a soldier based there at this time. What did they do all day? Was it viewed as a cushy posting by other battalions? Was there any sense of iminent danger? I know there are soldiers in the North Cemetary who died from natural causes while stationed there but I assume that was to be expected.

I also understand the 1st Garrison Bn Royal Welsh Fusiliers was there at the same time - was there any inter-battalion rivalry / competitions?

Some of the documents held in the Archives of the Cheshire Military Museum in Chester include a 'Christmas menu for the Grand Hotel, Gibraltar' for 1917, a 'Menu for Christmas Dinner 1918' and a 'Menu for 1st Garrison Bn, Cheshire Regiment, Mediterranean Club' from Nov 1915. These items were all pasted into the scrapbook of a Captain Palmer which I was lucky enought to get to browse through (the ladies in the Archive are very helpful). It's a fascinating insight to the life of an Officer there but not a Private. I did get a copy of a picture of 'Charlie Chaplin' with some of the men & cooks when he paid the Regiment a visit but it's not dated.

There doesn't appear to be a Battalion diary or any other record of day to day life there so was it as easy as it appears or am I being too cynical?

My Great-Grandfather had already served in South Africa and had a defective heart (per his MR) so I know that's why he was posted to a Garrison Battalion.

Can anyone recommend any good sources that illuminate what it was like in Gibraltar at that time?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Shep,

Just a thought, have you contacted the Gibraltar Museum?

It has a web-site and e-mail contact address.I found the staff very helpful when I visited it a few years ago.

George

Shep,

Just a thought, have you contacted the Gibraltar Museum?

It has a web-site and e-mail contact address.I found the staff very helpful when I visited it a few years ago.

George

Thanks George - that's definately an avenue to explore. My Parents are visiting there too later this year.

• 7 months later...

hello my g/grandad was with the 1st garrison batalion cheshire. he went there after he was gased in france. on his record he got charged on many times for being drunk. his service record is still avalible

• 1 year later...

Who was your great grandad, as there are quite a few names in my g/grandads charge papers

Another GWF thread gives details of a book about another Garrison Battalion and says

Regrettably, very little has been written about the Garrison Battalions of World War I in post-war regimental histories. Battalions were disbanded within days of returning from service overseas and their four or five year existence was apparently regarded as of little consequence in regimental history. No official records have been kept of the activities of this particular Battalion unfortunately but the author has had access to other sources of information.

The book mentioned is 1st Garrison Battalion The Manchester Regiment, India, Singapore, Hong Kong & Siberia by Robert Bonner

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=205407

Even though it is not about Gibraltar or the 1st Garrison Battalion Cheshire Regiment, it may give an appreciation of what a Garrison Battalion did.

Amazon,co,uk details http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garrison-Battalion-Manchester-Regiment-Singapore/dp/1873907370

Cheers

Maureen