The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Private Harry Alderton

Guest Para

Sirs.

Firstly, congratulations on having constructed such a helpful forum. And, as a new boy I request that you excuse any errors that I may make until I become used to the way things work here. To business.

A friend of my father-in-law has requested that I attempt to trace information regarding a bronze memorial plaque to the late Harry Alderton, the said plaque having been dug up while gardening. The only information discovered so far is that Private Harry Alderton 18/454 served with 18th Bn West Yorkshire Reg’t (Prince of Wales’s Own) and was KIA on 1 July 1916 during the Battle of the Somme. Also, that he is named on the Thiepval Memorial - Grave/Ref Panel No: Pier and Face 2A, 2C & 2D.

Should any of your members have any further information regarding Private Alderton, or be able to advise us further, we would all be most obliged. We may then be able to trace any family of Private Alderton in order to return the plaque to them.

Many thanks.

Para

Welcome to the forum. I have little doubt that you will receive assistance from forum members in your quest. Good luck with your project and please keep us informed of the outcome.

Terry Reeves

Hi Para

Do you live in Bradford. If so if you visit the Bradford Central Library you can look him up on the Bradford Roll of Honour which gives details of address , enlistment etc. This is either in book form or on microfilm. I note he lived in Manningham so there will most likely be a photo of him and an obituary in the Telegraph daily roll of honour which is also on microfilm in the library. Start about 7 July and work your way through until you find him.

It was fairly common in Yorkshire ( I don't know about elsewhere ) for the families to bury Plaques as a sort of funeral service.

Charlie

Gentlemen.

I should like to thank you both for your very rapid replies. This is much appreciated.

FRICOURT

Thank you particularly for the sound advice, which will be passed on to those currently holding the item belonging to the family of Private Alderton. Also, it appears that we have a couple of things in common. There is only 9 months difference in our respective ages, and we live quite close to each other.

Regards.

m13pqb

Thank you, but I feel you may have been led astray by my having served with 1st Bn Y & L Reg't. Private Harry Alderton 18/454 served with 18th Bn West Yorkshire Reg’t (Prince of Wales’s Own).

;)

Hello Para,

By a strange coincidence I took out a book from my local library last week called 'The Bradford Pals' written by Ralph N. Hudson, ISBN 0 907734 38 3. Although Harry Alderton is not mentioned specifically in the book, he is listed in the back with all the other 16th and 18th Battalion members. The book lists 'Alderton, Harry b. Bradford, e. Bradford, Yorks (Manningham), 18/454, Pte k. in a., F & F, 1/7/16' On pages 40 to 55 there is a graphic account of the action of the 18th Battalion going over the top with a map of the area. There is also a mention of a 2nd/Lt Robert Ivor Derwent k. in a. 1/7/16. The book is well worth a read.

Many apologies, para, I was looking at the York & Lancs, not the West Yorks! Well, I am a Lancastrian, so all Yorkshiremen tend to look alike to me! Sorry.

Phil B

Ray.

Thanks for the information on the book, and I’ll certainly check it out.

Phil.

No apology required. Some of us do tend to be afflicted by the occasional senior moment, especially Lancastrians.

:D

Kev.