The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Lancashire Fusiliers "Cantaleux Trench"

Mark Abbott

Does anyone have any details of the 2/5th LF's raid on this trench near Givenchy?

I understand details may appear in the LF history.

Any information would be most welcome.

Cheers,

Mark

Mark, What was the date of the raid and was it successful? I am asking so that I can see what possible German references I might have on it.

Ralph

Ralph,

I have very little information at present. I assume it was April/June 1918. I have a MM to 53451 L/Cpl P Thomas 2/5th LF's who was apparently awarded his medal for the raid in question; his fellow raiders I understand received a DCM and 4 MMs.

Thanks .

Mark

There was a raid by 2/5 LF on 19/6/18 when 1 DCM and 4 MMs were won, but they don`t include your man. His LG date of 14/5/19 would presumably indicate the later action? Phil B

Phil,

Thanks for the information. L/Cpl P Thomas was killed on the 25 October 1918 and his MM has an LG date of the 14.5.1919. He had previously served with the DLOY as number 4714.

The chap I bought the medal from stated that his name appeared in Vol 1 of the LF history, confirming the Cantaleux Trench details.

Mark

A friend of mine who is fortunate enough to have the LF annual for 1918 has found a mention of L/Cpl Thomas. apparently the MM was won for "operations east of Givenchy 3-14 September 1918". 1 DCM and 5 MMs being awarded amongst which is the one to Thomas.

Mark

No, it`s from the Regtl history (Maj Gen J.C.Latter). It`s just that, without having a date to go on, it gets a bit difficult! Phil B