The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

In silent fortitude

michaeldr

Our GWF member 'draperju' has published his second book on the Great War and the men of Northumberland's Tyne Valley. His first was a mighty 406 page tome titled 'The Faith and Fire Within' [Ergo Press, 2006, ISBN 0-9552758-1-4]

For his second book, Alan has concentrated his efforts on the men from the North Tyne Valley and this time he has taken his title from Rudyard Kipling's For All We Have and Are:

Comfort, content, delight –

The ages’ slow-bought gain –

They shrivelled in a night,

Only ourselves remain

To face the naked days

In silent fortitude,

Through perils and dismays

Renewed and re-renewed.

….......................................

'In Silent Fortitude' is subtitled 'In Memory of the men of the North Tyne Valley who fell in the Great War' and in just a couple of pages less than his previous book, Alan describes the lives and service of those North Tyne lads who fought and fell for King and country from 1914 to 1918.

This is not a critical review of Alan's work, as I have yet to see it;

my copy of this book has gone first to my father, who for 14 years had the duty (and privilege) of reciting the 70-odd names of his town's fallen at their Remembrance Day service.

What I can say is that having collected the book at lunch-time, Dad had finished it (cover-to-cover) by 0030 that night and was pleased to pronounce it "un-put-downable" and that Alan had 'done the lads proud!'

For further details of 'The Faith and Fire Within' and 'In Silent Fortitude' please see

http://cogitobooksonline.tbpcontrol.co.uk/TBP.Direct/PurchaseProduct/OrderProduct/CustomerSelectProduct/ProductDetail.aspx?d=cogitobooksonline&s=C&r=10000161&ui=0&bc=0&productCode=9780955275814

and

http://cogitobooksonline.tbpcontrol.co.uk/TBP.Direct/PurchaseProduct/OrderProduct/CustomerSelectProduct/ProductDetail.aspx?d=cogitobooksonline&s=C&r=10000161&ui=0&bc=0&productCode=9780955751097

I am more than happy to be known as a client of Cogito Books, but I have no other connection with the company or business.

Michael