The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

some information for NIGEL

enoch beard

hello nigel,

in stacke history of the worcestershire regiment , page 495 mar-1919

in may and june the regular battalions destined for service at home were ordered back to reform. after taking over the transport and surplus personnel of the 1st battalion, the 4th battalion had remained at ath under the orders of the 23rd brigade. the battalion was gradually reduced to the authorised cadre strength of 3 officers and 36 other ranks. on may 10th that little detachment representing the 4th worcestershire entrained with their colours to ath for dunkirk and england.

i think nigel , that your grandfather was one of the surplus personnel.

in the autumn of 1921 the 4 th worcesters were disbanded , so i imagine your grandfather joined the notts & derby's around then

enoch

so enoch ??????!!!!!!-----from the info you have from me he was in the warwicks then the 1st worcesters then the 4th worcesters then the 1st sherwoods until his discharge in 1927

thanks

nigel

well thats my opinon, for what its worth!

by the way which part of birmingham did your grandfather come from?

enoch

i owe you enoch for that help-----my grandad came from aston witton road where i also lived until i was 4 but his family came from worcester redditch way--his mom and dad split when young and dumped george and his sister in a home but were rescued by an aunt lil who we cant find who she was and he joined the navy when 11 or 12 so he was a service man all his life

nigel, i am glad to be of help

enoch