The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Arras

Len Trim

Arras by Peter Barton and Jeremy Banning currently on sale at Naval and Military Press for £11.95p when the full price is £30. What a bargain for any one who does not already have it.

Len

That is even cheaper than I can get them for! Amazing what discount they can put on a book.

Thanks for pointing this out Len.

JB

Me too! Hopefully will go to fill the Arras deficit in my Great War knowledge!

Definition:

Bargain = An expenditure of £15 (inc delivery) on Saturday morning for an item that, on Friday night, I had not the slightest suspicion that I either wanted or needed.

Still, that's effective advertising for you. Notice how N&M make you trawl through the entirety of their special offer list, all zillion pages, to find the book. Still, it does look like a bargain. I remember another member of the La Boisselle group complaining that his (then) recent (and excellent) book was cheaper on Amazon that it was to himself through his publisher.

Apart from the on-cost of another bookcase, I look forward to seeing it for the same reasons as Simon (#4)

Ian

Glad to see Len's post has fired up some interest! I've just ordered a dozen copies as I have some talks lined up.

Thanks

Fascinating Jeremy that you have to go to an outlet to buy copies of your own book at the best price! huh.gif

Just be careful to tell everybody in your talks that it's a boring place to visit. I would hate to meet the kinds of crowds I experienced at Tyne Cot on Saturday in my wanders of the future. tongue.gif

Jim

Glad to flag up such an excellent book. Last summer I used it and Linesman to have a very enjoyable and rewarding trip around Arras and the infamous Railway Triangle. Hat off to you Jeremy and Peter for producing such a good book.

Len

This essential piece soon to be added to the collection!

Just be careful to tell everybody in your talks that it's a boring place to visit. I would hate to meet the kinds of crowds I experienced at Tyne Cot on Saturday in my wanders of the future. tongue.gif

Jim

So I take it we won't see you in Arras in 2017? :whistle:

Hope to be part of this if they ever do it again

arras-1917-90th-anniversary-02.JPG

arras-1917-90th-anniversary-03.JPG

I too am very pleased for the `heads up` on this book. My order has been placed.

If i may say so, all these books are excellent.

Regards Frances

So I take it we won't see you in Arras in 2017? :whistle:

With any luck I'll be living there by then Alex. In fact by 2015 if the MOD do the business and strip us of students by then! :D

You are very welcome for the anniversary - I reckon I might suddenly have lots of good friends in 1917 so you might have to fix the trip early.:P

Jim

With any luck I'll be living there by then Alex. In fact by 2015 if the MOD do the business and strip us of students by then! :D

You are very welcome for the anniversary - I reckon I might suddenly have lots of good friends in 1917 so you might have to fix the trip early.:P

Jim

I plan on having you guide my brother and I around the fields before then anyways so that works!!

My goal is to get my band to play the massive Main Square festival in town. Of course we'll be rich and famous enough to buy you the Wellington Caves so you can correct that sign saying the offensive was a diversion B)

arras_festival.JPG

Thanks for all of the nice comments about the Arras book. As for Passchendaele, the publishers will reprint this - but it may be for 2017 so you may have to wait until then! No plans as yet for any substantial revisions to the book but I'll let the forum know if and when we get a fixed date for reprint.

I plan on having you guide my brother and I around the fields before then anyways so that works!!

My goal is to get my band to play the massive Main Square festival in town. Of course we'll be rich and famous enough to buy you the Wellington Caves so you can correct that sign saying the offensive was a diversion B)

You will be most welcome.

Not in the square any more I'm afraid, but I promise to come if you play tongue.gif

Jim

Glad to say that my copy arrived today. It looks really good. Thanks to Peter and Jeremy for producing such wonderful and useful books.

Garth

My copy arrived yesterday and first impressions it looks superb, it seems a shame to remove it from the plastic bag keeping it clean.

I have the book "Passchendaele Unseen Panoramas" and whilst it is a very interesting and well illustrated tome in practical terms its weight and size in my opinion make it very difficult to read and just holding it in a normal reading position leads to cramp. Yes a good book but is it the type of book which you actually read from cover to cover or as in my case just dip into now and again. I have not got the Arras edition so my comments may not apply to that.

Norman

PS I see that Arras weighs in at 3.6lbs and Passchendaele 5lbs

It is still an unwieldy book, luckily i found an old reading stand in a junk shop, cleaned it up, gave it a fresh coat of polish, and it does the job nicely.I also shortened it so i can read from a sitting position.

Regards Terry

PS I see that Arras weighs in at 3.6 lbs and Passchendaele 6.6 lbs

Hi Norman - would you be able to give me your source for these figures? Thanks

I have no idea - I must say I have never thought about weighing books.

I have just logged on to the GWF and see that you have amended the weight for Passchendaele. It did seem a little high to me as it is only another 150 pages so didn't see how it could double the weight.