The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

6th Btn, South Lancs Regiment

Guest David Hughes

Guest David Hughes

My grandfather Robert Hughes joined 6th Btn South Lancs Regiment in August 1914, and was wounded at Gallipoli in August 1915. His demob certificate shows that he was demobilised from that regiment at the end of the war, and was then placed on reserve for 12 months. Although I have managed to build a picture of where he probably was in Gallipoli, using your fantastic website, I can only guess that he continued with the regiment in Mesopotamia until the war finished. Would anybody be able to help me shed a bit more light on my grandad's post Gallipoli service with that regiment?

Hi David

Sounds familiar to another thread last week, so I may have said this before! Have Westlakes British Regs in Gallipoli coming, so if you dont get the answers you need, I may be able to fill gaps in this week (hopefully).

Will keep an eye on your thread, but pm or mail me at the end of the week if u still need info (hope to have it by then).

Steve

David,

have a look at http://www.1914-1918.net/southlancs.htm which will give you an overview. If you have particular dates in mind I will look them up for you in the regimental history.

regards

Dave Risley