The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Anne Donnell, A.A.N.S.

b3rn

What happened to Sister Anne Donnell after the Great War?

There's a few hits on Trove regarding her book Letters of an Australian Army Sister and she is the matron of a a South Australian Anzac Hostel in this newspaper report of 1920.

There's a genealogy web site that has photographs and some details

Parents were William Donnell 1830-1881 and Fanny Jacobs 1846-1818

"The Register" of 25 March 1926 reports she has resigned from the position of Matron at the ANZAC Hostel in Glenelg and is accompanying a Mr LW Walker an incapacitated ex-serviceman on a trip to Colombo

"The Register" of 17 January 1928 reports she was training in New Zealand "drawn by her interest in mothercraft work and the world fame of Sir Truby King's methods"

She published her letters and diaries in a book entitled "Letters of an Australian Army Sister"

Electoral Roll for 1931 has an Anne Donnell "trained nurse" at 89 Egan St Kalgoorlie; 1936 "nurse" 72 Ward St, Kalgoorlie; 1954 "retired" 24 James St, North Beach, Perth

Died 23 September 1956 in Perth

Hi Bern

In addition to Leo's contribution, Anne Donnell ran the Goldfields Infant Welfare Centre in Kalgoorlie from 1930s onwards. She was a member of the Kalgoorlie RSL.

cheers

Kirsty

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Hello, I have all Anne Donnell's handwritten diaries, we have transcribed them all and it took 8 months. 60 Minutes Australia took us to Gallipoli and filmed for the Centenary and the short conclusion is on this weekend Sunday 29 March. We have a website dedicated to her www.annedonnell.com.au and have written a fist in a series of children's books "Anne Threw a Streamer" based on her diaries, it is being illustrated now. Feel free to comment and look for any recognised people in the photographs on the site from WW1.

enjoy

• 9 years later...

Hi All! I know this is a very old thread, but I'm checking in to see if anyone still answers it. I am doing research on Ms. Donnell--the genealogy reference and the reference to 60 minutes have been very helpful! I'm in particular looking for letters that are unpublished for my phd thesis, in other words, ones that did not make it to her book Letters of an Australian Nursing Sister. I was wondering if any guidance or direction could be offered? Thanks!

• Admin
4 hours ago, u1126329 said:

Hi All! I know this is a very old thread, but I'm checking in to see if anyone still answers it. I am doing research on Ms. Donnell--the genealogy reference and the reference to 60 minutes have been very helpful! I'm in particular looking for letters that are unpublished for my phd thesis, in other words, ones that did not make it to her book Letters of an Australian Nursing Sister. I was wondering if any guidance or direction could be offered? Thanks!

Welcome to the GWF

@b3rn is still active on the forum @Graeme Mitchellhas not visited for some years, since 2015 in fact

My tag may alert them to your post but if not if they have retained their registered email you can send a personal message click on the name and open the dialog box 'message'