The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Casualty Form

Ian Underwood

Hello

I've posted a scan of a British casualty form for the chap I'm researching below. I want to be positive about the notations in the "From Whom Received" column, and was wondering if pals could comfirm what the abreviations mean. I've made some slightly informed guesses below:

24/5/15 - 3rd Canadian Field Ambulance?

24/5/15 - #5 Casualty Clearing Station?

24/5/15 - 18 General Hospital? (Le Treport)

23/9/16 - #48 Casualty Clearing Station?

20/9/16 - no idea, possibly 'Aust Gen'

22/9/16 - no idea

24/9/16 - no idea

I'll post a close up of the second of the two wounds in a second post. Anything else that the records reveal please shout out.

Thanks....ian.

post-1-1091454053.jpg

Hi,

Could the last entry 24/9/16 be for Etaples? This was used as a training depot for troops on their way to the front, I believe returning veterans still has to go through here as well, poss 59 BD - battle depot?

Ali

Hi,

I would hazard a guess at the entry being 5 IBD - could be 5 Infantry Base Depot, espaecially if the location is Etaples, where many of these Infantry Base Depots were based.

They would generally be places where soldiers on their way back to the front, or going for the first time would be posted before being pushed out to whichever battalion needed them - certain depots provided troops for particular formations. At this stage in the war, (1916), it might not have been as unpredictable as it appeared to be later in the war.

rgds

doogal

24/5/15 - 18 General Hospital? (Le Treport)

From a brief look at the locations of hospitals given on the main website, I don't think it is 18 General Hospital, which appeared to be stationed at Camiers at this time.

The Hospital based at Le Treport was No3 Hospital - but to me the form clearly states "18". However, I'm no expert, and would be equally interested if any of the other members of the forum can straighten that one out for you.

rgds

doogal

What I can make out is as follows (from L to R):

-16 48 CCS admt La tacc OR 7 acc

-16 undecipherable

-16 undecipherable

-16 5 IBD To Etaples

The first line seems to be saying that the soldier in questions was admitted to (presumably) a hospital from a casualty clearing station. The 'La ® T acc' annotation could possibly refer to a hostpital train?

I am no expert but used to check docs for forgeries and the easiest way to do this and decispher text is to turn it upside down and look for patterns and shapes rather than letters or numbers. Good luck!

The first line (next to 48 CCS) looked to me rather like 'Adm. SW Face', which I interpreted to mean 'Admitted. Shrapnel Wound, Face'.

I may be seeing things though, and I stand to be corrected...

3rd Canadian Field Ambulance for the 24 May 1915 entry is quite plausible. Although names of casualties are not, of course, included, the unit War Diary gives a good description of their activities, including an attached report on operation. It is available at the usual place, here:

http://www.collectionscanada.ca/02/02015202_e.html

They report that at this time they cleared imperial (that is, British) casualties, including from the North Lancaster? Division, and on the 24th cleared 15-20 imperials. They also report clearing gas cases.

On a different issue, I had always assumed S.W. meant shell wound, although without much basis. It seems that everyone was either recorded S.W. or G.S.W. (gun shot wound?). In many cases the later seems to have been used as a default notation.

The Hospital based at Le Treport was No3 Hospital - but to me the form clearly states "18".

Thanks for your replies. This soldier was later in April 1917 admitted to 16 General Hospital at Le Treport. From the CWGC site about Le Treport.

During the First World War, Le Treport was an important hospital centre and by July 1916, the town contained three general hospitals (the 3rd, 16th and 2nd Canadian), No. 3 Convalescent Depot and Lady Murray's BRCS Hospital. The 7th Canadian, 47th and 16th USA General Hospitals arrived later, but all of the hospitals had closed by March 1919.

They report that at this time they cleared imperial (that is, British) casualties, including from the North Lancaster? Division, and on the 24th cleared 15-20 imperials.  They also report clearing gas cases.

My man was in the 28th Division

Ian